Apeks Black Ice vs. AL Dimension

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CHSDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone have an opinion on the Black Ice vs. The AL Dimension? They appear pretty close online and are both in the Aqualung family. I have done about 30 dives (started this year) and currently dive a Zuma. I feel like I need something a bit more substantial. I plan to dive Caribbean, but also some wrecks off the Carolina and Florida coasts and start going a bit deeper. I would love any alternative thoughts for more of an advanced sport diver BC. Thanks.

No direct persoal experience with either, but a close friend and dive buddy used the Black Ice. After our second (Bonaire and Roatan) trip together he left it on the liveaboard to the crew as a tip. He switched to an Apeks BP/W (Apeks D-18, plate and one piece harness) and has zero regrets.

I dive the Black Ice professionally doing work on surface ships and a submarine and I like it. It is heavy duty and has more lift and weight carrying capacity than the Dimension. I have around 150 working dives on it and it still looks great I don't think a story about one person giving it away makes any sense without an explaination of the reason. The Black Ice is an exceptional piece of equipment. He probably did not figure out the operation properly. I also have an Apeks WTX BP with a D45 wing setup for twin tanks and it is very nice as well. All of the Apeks gear is very nice. My other BC is an Atomic BC2 which is a very different feel and I use it strictly for recreational dives.

I have around 150 working dives on it and it still looks great I don't think a story about one person giving it away makes any sense without an explaination of the reason.

Because he wanted less of a BC. The black ice and the (especially the) Atomic BC2 is just too damn much BC.

The dive guide was thrilled though, as his was beat down.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom