Apeks ATX40/DS4 stage regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

flymolo

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi-

I'm looking at an Apeks ATX40/DS4 regulator combo as a potential option for a stage bottle regulator.

I have two (edit three) questions-

Besides the knob to control ease of breathing and the reversible second stage LP hose, is there any reason I wouldn't want this over say, an XTX40 or XTX50?

If I wanted to use this on a 50% bottle or a 100% bottle, could I?

On a stage, is there an advantage to having the swivel turret offered by the DST? Or is the routing on the DS4 ideal enough?

on a stage bottle you'll probably benefit from the ATX50, though the knob upgrade can be done at home if you can get the parts. Any dealer can get them as well though whether or not they will be able to sell them to you directly I am unsure.

I am not sure if they come O2 clean out of the box, I suspect not since they say they can be O2 cleaned but aren't out of the box like their dedicated O2 regulators. That said only the first stage has to be O2 cleaned which is quite simple to do.

I actually prefer fixed first stages on stage/deco bottles mainly because they are lighter which is a bit nicer for trim purposes. On a practical level, you have two options if you use a swivel first stage. You can use a longer 40" hose and route it exactly like you would on a normal stage reg, or you can use a shorter 32-36" hose and utilize the swivel. When you utilize the swivel, it is slightly more annoying to fully stow the regulator back. More important on a stage bottle than a deco bottle, but still a thing.

I personally use all fixed port first stages on all stage/deco bottles and will likely never switch unless someone is feeling quite generous and gives me a half dozen new first stages

I'd get the XTX50/DST with 5th port option.
This will be the most flexible for different purposes beyond just a stage/deco reg.

They come O2 clean/compatible out of the box, but they will not put that in print (other than pre-mixed Nitrox to 40% ready).

So, you could go with the XTX40/DS4. No reason it would not work, but the little extra $ for the 50/DST/5th is worth it to me to be able to use it in the future for pretty much any other purpose. And I do appreciate a cracking effort adjustment knob. I adjust my regs so the knob, at its lightest spring pressure, causes a slight flow of air.

1. You have to decide if the adjusting screw on the "50" series is absolutely necessary. None of my Apeks deco regs(T20, TX40 and ATX40) have this feature.
2. I prefer the DST over DS4 as deco reg because of the turret.
3. DST is a lot more expensive than DS4. Alternative is UST(non-sealed with turret) but make sure you wash the inside of the opening(the big spring) thoroughly after dive.
4. All new Apeks regs are suitable up to 40% Nitrox. The dedicated nitrox regs are suitable up to 100% straight out of the box. These regs are coloured coded(green).

1. You have to decide if the adjusting screw on the "50" series is absolutely necessary. None of my Apeks deco regs(T20, TX40 and ATX40) have this feature.
2. I prefer the DST over DS4 as deco reg because of the turret.
3. DST is a lot more expensive than DS4. Alternative is UST(non-sealed with turret) but make sure you wash the inside of the opening(the big spring) thoroughly after dive.
4. All new Apeks regs are suitable up to 40% Nitrox. The dedicated nitrox regs are suitable up to 100% straight out of the box. These regs are coloured coded(green).

Thanks for replies.

Centrals- what do you like about the turrets for deco bottles/stages?

Thanks for replies.

Centrals- what do you like about the turrets for deco bottles/stages?
You can rotate the turret 360 degree as long as there is only one hose attach to it, therefore more flexibility on the routing of the lp hose.

on a stage bottle you'll probably benefit from the ATX50, though the knob upgrade can be done at home if you can get the parts. Any dealer can get them as well though whether or not they will be able to sell them to you directly I am unsure.

Apeks Adjuster Screw | eBay

At current exchange rates it is under $20 US.

Hi-

I'm looking at an Apeks ATX40/DS4 regulator combo as a potential option for a stage bottle regulator.

I have two (edit three) questions-

Besides the knob to control ease of breathing and the reversible second stage LP hose, is there any reason I wouldn't want this over say, an XTX40 or XTX50?

If I wanted to use this on a 50% bottle or a 100% bottle, could I?

On a stage, is there an advantage to having the swivel turret offered by the DST? Or is the routing on the DS4 ideal enough?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom