Apeks ATX200 2nd stage exhaust ports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joshik

Registered
Reaction score
Hey All

I am thinking of picking up a 1st and 2nd stage Apeks ATX200 from a buddy of mine. I was wondering if anyone has experience with them and the performance of the exhaust ports. I know the newer regs (various brands) have the exhaust ports swept back to help avoid bubbles in your face when stationary. Does anyone have experience with bubbles in the face being a problem? Would there be a mod/upgrade to the exhaust ports to help eliminate this? I've been using rentals and have occasionally had issues with the bubbles being right up in my face. When i used my friend's newer Atomic 2nd stage, i had no issues. I guess current and surge would effect the bubbles in the face as well.

Those regs were sold with both a small and a large exhaust tee. They can be interchanged in seconds. Personally, I prefer the larger tee, since I am a bit sensitive to bubble interference. Even the small tee is not nearly as bad as an old USD Micra I dived years ago.

EDIT: See post #4 below.

Last edited:
Sorry I think you are mistaken, only the XTX range have the wide and narrow exhaust Ts. The ATX only comes with one size and its narrow. I own both ATX and XTX I don't really notice the difference. The ATX cannot be changed.

Oops, you are right. Somehow I read XTX instead of ATX. The ATX has a short non-removable tee with a trap door to service the exhaust diaphragm. Now, LOL, if the Op buys an XTX he will have an answer.

im not an expert but in the process of buying my own reg, so far i have been diving with rental equipments and i dive with lots of different LDS.

although bubbles aren't usually a problem yet twice i had an issue with them

1- bubbles where blown in my face, to the point where they were distracting the vision
2- on a diferent day, they were constantly getting into my ears which was not comfortable

unfortunately i don't remember which brands, and maybe it has to do with face structure and measurements but to me, i will seriously consider that when buying.

im not an expert but in the process of buying my own reg, so far i have been diving with rental equipments and i dive with lots of different LDS.

although bubbles aren't usually a problem yet twice i had an issue with them

1- bubbles where blown in my face, to the point where they were distracting the vision
2- on a diferent day, they were constantly getting into my ears which was not comfortable

unfortunately i don't remember which brands, and maybe it has to do with face structure and measurements but to me, i will seriously consider that when buying.

thanks for the reply everyone! my buddy is selling me the atx200 for a great price so i can't pass it up. i'll save up and get a new xtx someday in the future.

like i mentioned before, i did have issues with bubbles from the rental gear that i normally use. i believe they are the AL titan regulators. I had one instance where the bubbles were extremelly bothersom and even started to get trapped in my hood. i think it was just the way the hood was positioned on my face. i have a cheap-o body glove hood from Sports Chalet that has holes on top to let out air but i guess it wasn't doing a good job. i dove last week w the rental reg setup from Sports Chalet and had no issues.

im excited for the new-to-me reg setup. ive been reading a lot of great reviews on it. i will probably pickup an atomic universal swivel hose kit for it too if it will fit.

do you think a black pearl front cover would fit on the atx200. im sure those are hard to find. i just like the way it looks :)

I'm not 100% as have never tried but am pretty sure a the Black pearl will fit the ATX. Yes, hard to find I imagine as this us no longer in production. Easy way to find out would be to ask over on the Apeks forum under Manufacturers forum, I'm sure one of the reps could advise, it would be very exy as most Apeks parts are. If you have no joy here and really want one PM me and I can do some checking I have a supplier overseas. Good luck.

thanks for the reply everyone! my buddy is selling me the atx200 for a great price so i can't pass it up. i'll save up and get a new xtx someday in the future.

like i mentioned before, i did have issues with bubbles from the rental gear that i normally use. i believe they are the AL titan regulators. I had one instance where the bubbles were extremelly bothersom and even started to get trapped in my hood. i think it was just the way the hood was positioned on my face. i have a cheap-o body glove hood from Sports Chalet that has holes on top to let out air but i guess it wasn't doing a good job. i dove last week w the rental reg setup from Sports Chalet and had no issues.

not sure if you have made up your mind yet but, after reading your first post for the second time...

1- since you are buying from your buddy, why don't you ask for a test dive ?

2- the point that both of us made regarding the rental gears and the issues related to them. well, rental gears by the nature of them are there for either shallow sea training or pool session. so they don't buy the most advanced reg !!

3- i have read about the xtx200, dont know much much is the different between atx and xtx but in any case with such high end regulators, i don't think they will have all the advanced features plus some luxuries features and forget about bubbles, come on man.

What "advanced features" and " luxuries" might you be referring too? Cheers. I doubt anyone could tell a difference in breathing either of them, I certainly can't. 1st stage is the same, both 2nds use the same service kit and other than the ability to make the XTX right or left hand features and functionality are the same.

The new XTX200 comes with swivel connection to the 2nd stage(optional).
The new FSR can match the DST to accommodate the 5th port as well. The internal design is completely different from the old one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom