apeks aluminum backplate protection

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

k954triniz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
i recent started diving the backplate and wing setup, 5 dives in. i am noticting corrosion/oxidation forming throughout the plate, especially around the screw holes and edges. when you rub your fingers on the edge its definitely rough. i disassemble the setup after every dive, except removed harness and place everything a big container of water for about 30 minutes then put everything to dry.
i know everything will corrode eventually but after dives and i think i do a pretty good post dive rinse.
you'd think a top dollar plate would have a little more expose protect.
i just dont want it to somehow start chafing into my wing.
considering taking it to work and cleaning off the oxidation and treating it with some stuff use on aircrafts.

then after possibly hydro dipping the plate.
what are some of yall thoughts and experiences with this plate.

Attachments

• IMG_4180.jpeg
    IMG_4180.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_4177.jpeg
    IMG_4177.jpeg
    68 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_4179.jpeg
    IMG_4179.jpeg
    47.1 KB · Views: 111
  • IMG_4178.jpeg
    IMG_4178.jpeg
    53.1 KB · Views: 107
You plate is going to fall apart and be ruined and unusable............... In 50 years. I have zero concern about that on my plate. I dip it in freshwater for 60 seconds after diving.

If you are worried about corrosion at the bolts, I suppose you could place a plastic or teflon washer against it to reduce the galvanic action there.

Im not worried about it falling apart, yes very unlikely even if i never rinse. im more concerned with not worried ( slight concern at that) about the roughness on the edges.
guess im over thinking it.
Aluminium oxide is very hard unlike iron oxide.
I also dive with Al plate and never ever bother to pre-treat it.
Rinse and dry.

You plate is going to fall apart and be ruined and unusable............... In 50 years. I have zero concern about that on my plate. I dip it in freshwater for 60 seconds after diving.

If you are worried about corrosion at the bolts, I suppose you could place a plastic or teflon washer against it to reduce the galvanic action there.

If you are worried about roughness on the outside edges, then take a piece of old wetsuit and make a big pad for the plate. I did it. Fold the neoprene over the edge of the plate burn holes that match the plate holes, and then spend some leisurely time, using string to tie the neoprene over the edges of the plate. Of course this probably promotes corrosion.

im just going to do a little silicone sealant or rtv where ever the roughness appears. get the stuff free so why not. at least it wont rub into my wetsuit.
If you are worried about roughness on the outside edges, then take a piece of old wetsuit and make a big pad for the plate. I did it. Fold the neoprene over the edge of the plate burn holes that match the plate holes, and then spend some leisurely time, using string to tie the neoprene over the edges of the plate. Of course this probably promotes corrosion.

With the aluminum plate I’m over weighted without any added weights. I’ll be even more over weighted with a steel . I use and like my steel 100tank because I am always the one with the most gas left at the end . Sometimes 1000 psi more than my buddies.

So you feel you have enhanced your safety by being over weighted (and having no ditchable lead) and coming to the surface with more air than needed?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom