apek at20

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wetwillie2

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
just got my 1st scuba setup. its awesome but i,m having second thoughts about the at20. will it be ok for the cold new england waters? thanks

The At 20 lacks the heat exchanger. The Atx or Tx 40 or 50 would be a better reg for cold water.

from Aqualungs website:

AT20
The AT20 is designed as a warm water regulator and makes an ideal entry level or training regulator. It has the same 50m+ performance as the ATX40 but without the cold-water feature

Agree, the better shoice is the atx 50, no doubt. Also, if you go with it, I recommend that you cut off the "hose protector" on the sec stage.

I'm not an expert...but I know a few people diving unsealed regs into the low 40s and high 30s without problems. Salt water freezes at a lower temp than fresh water so it takes a bit more to freeze a reg diving the ocean. Just be careful...don't breath it on the surface, don't hit the purge, and adjust the reg so that it will not free flow getting into the water. The ocean is a pretty big heatsink to keep the reg from freezing, so you are far more likely to freeze on the surface.

If you aren't ice diving or heading out in 30 deg water temps with colder air temps you should be able to get by with a few precautions.

It's just my opinion though and it's worth what you paid for it. It is life support equipment not specificaly designed for cold water temps, but people do use unsealed regs all of the time.

i have no interest in ice diving. and plan on diving when its over 50 degrees. just wanted to be sure i didnt miss anything. thanks

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom