AP Diving’s new CO2 sensor launched

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Silent Diving

Registered
Reaction score
With DEMA and the launch of AP Diving’s new CO2 Sensor in the North American market just a few days away, Martin Parker explained that response to his company’s new product has taken him by surprise.

“We launched the new CO2 sensor to UK divers at the Birmingham Dive Show last weekend and I was totally surprised how worried divers are about CO2 break-through.” Parker, managing director of UK-based AP Diving, said: “It became very clear to us at the show that many divers really want the peace of mind offered by the sensor, and to know that CO2 is not present in their loop gas.”

The AP Diving CO2 Sensor is an ‘active warning device’ designed to alert the diver when the CO2 content of the breathing loop is approaching a dangerous level. The most likely triggers for the new sensor are depletion of the CO2 absorbent canister, incorrect assembly resulting in CO2 bypass of the canister, or failed mushroom valves.

The CO2 Sensor has been specially developed for use with AP Diving’s range of rebreathers equipped with Vision electronics (Inspiration, Evolution, Evolution+) and is the latest in a long list of innovations from the company that has been producing full-function rebreathers since the late -1990s.

The new CO2 sensor is intended as an option that can be used with or without the current patented APD Scrubber monitor (Temp-stik).

Mike Fowler, president of Silent Diving, AP’s American distributor, has been testing the AP CO2 sensor in his AP Rebreather for the past couple of months. “I’ve been impressed with it,” he said. “In a couple of instances it alerted me to “mistakes” I made during assembly and actual dive conditions to check just how sensitive it was. It works very well.”

Fowler explained that the sensor uses infrared technology patented by QinetiQ and an algorithm developed by AP to compensate for depth and gas density. “With AP’s manufacturing know-how and decades-long pedigree in the dive industry, the result is an accurate, water and water-vapor proof product that I am proud to offer to our North American divers starting next week at DEMA.”
Fowler said that over the past several years, AP has put “incredible emphasis” on scrubber design and testing to ensure that under normal conditions and operations, there is no CO2 present.

“However, many AP rebreather owners will appreciate the back-up reassurance this new innovation has to offer.”

The new AP CO2 sensor will be available through Silent Diving to customers in Canada, US, Mexico, Caribbean, Central and South America from November 11. Price: $1099.00 (includes 3 x sensor protectors). Replacement Sensor Protectors: $36.00 (3 per pack)

Back
Top Bottom