AOW Wreck Diving Module

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverdowndh

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all, before you flame me out let me preface this thread by saying I am NOT a PADI basher. I really like what PADI has brought to the diving table for the masses.
However, I recently decided to pursue my DM. Being really only OW certified, even though I have been diving for quite some time, I needed to take the AOW and Rescue before embarking on DM. To the topic of this thread, I just did the module in AOW for wreck diving. Personally, I thought the whole thing weak and only briefly covers, what I would consider, a serious undertaking - diving a wreck. I have dove a few wrecks but never had the brass to penetrate, at least not very deeply. So, is there a PADI class that takes this subject hopefully further than this module? What do others think of this AOW module? I'm sure I'm doing this backwards (story of my life) by taking the AOW now, but to me, most of this AOW bookwork has not really done much for me. My df (and dive buddy) is taking the course also and she feels the same way.
Be easy on me!

Personally, I think the PADI "Wreck Diver" certification is a complete misnomer.

When the vast majority of divers talk about "wreck diving", they talk about penetration.

The PADI certification allows a certain amount of "penetration" but not to the extent which true "wreck divers" wish to effect.

the K

The AOW Wreck Dive is the first of 4 Wreck dives included in PADI's Wreck Specialty.

Limited penetration (130' linear feet to the surface) is optional in the 4th dive only. Like The Kraken said, it's wreck with a heavy recreational flavor. Most people consider wreck penetration to be technical diving. The PADI AOW module is certainly not enough training to be doing that on your own. I would pursue some kind of technical training if that's what you have in mind.

I see PADI's AOW course as "Intro to....insert specialty here". Not too many skills to learn, but gives people additional dives under their belt.....

I took the PADI wreck class once. But from a cave certified instructor who knew her stuff. Looking back on it, I would say that its a mismash of technical and recreational elements done in an extremely lax equipment config. Lots of danglies, not enough emphasis on trim, too much reliance on ambient light within 130ft of the surface (combined distance)

I got good instruction, it would have been better outside of PADI's banner. I think they should do it properly as a technical class or drop the class from their lineup. But considering their DSAT technical program is an embarassment, I think they should just drop it.

If you want to do wreck diving, go somewhere else other than PADI.

the K

The Kraken:
If you want to do wreck diving, go somewhere else other than PADI.

the K

Agree, there's nothing that PADI can contribute to wreck diving. Some padi instructors, maybe. But you're better off with a real overhead class and all that goes with it.

diverdowndh:
Hello all, before you flame me out let me preface this thread by saying I am NOT a PADI basher. I really like what PADI has brought to the diving table for the masses.
However, I recently decided to pursue my DM. Being really only OW certified, even though I have been diving for quite some time, I needed to take the AOW and Rescue before embarking on DM. To the topic of this thread, I just did the module in AOW for wreck diving. Personally, I thought the whole thing weak and only briefly covers, what I would consider, a serious undertaking - diving a wreck. I have dove a few wrecks but never had the brass to penetrate, at least not very deeply. So, is there a PADI class that takes this subject hopefully further than this module? What do others think of this AOW module? I'm sure I'm doing this backwards (story of my life) by taking the AOW now, but to me, most of this AOW bookwork has not really done much for me. My df (and dive buddy) is taking the course also and she feels the same way.
Be easy on me!

The AOW wreck module is just like the other AOW modules....a brief taste at some area of diving many newer divers have not experienced. It is what it is,,,what ever that is...'ok' reading. PADI has a Wreck Specialty which explores the topic in a bit more detail and is a good class when tough by someone with 'real world' wreck diving experience....it gives the average recreational diver an overview of the tasks and safety surrounding wrecks. PADI offers know other wreck diver training beyond that level. If interested in persueing this area of diving you might look at a technical training agency with a program geared to wreck exploration such as TDI for an example. In many of these programs you will have a prerequiste requirement of an rec. level wreck course like PADI's. Alot of divers confuse a true wreck with artificial reefs that just happen to be ships/planes...many of these reefs are very easily dove with a PADI type program under your belt. Never penetrate a true wreck without the training and gear/experience...or you might just have a bad day. Good luck on your training and your DM persuits.

texdiveguy:
The AOW wreck module is just like the other AOW modules....a brief taste at some area of diving many newer divers have not experienced. It is what it is,,,what ever that is...'ok' reading.
?
So that photography specialty/module I took doesn't make me an underwater photographer? Man I am bumbed..:mooner:

Back
Top Bottom