AOW in Samui and diving Koh Tao

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dolevr

Registered
Reaction score
I just came back from samui where I planned to have my AOW training and to have some dives.

From the board I got the impression that Samui International is the best shop around Samui - professional and friendly.

I contacted them before going and indeed got a lot of info via email.

I asked which dives are recommended, the costs and the recommended schedule (after giving my arrival/departure times), and they were answering emails quite fast.

Upon arriving I contacted them to arrange the course and the technical details (pick-up, dives, etc.).

At that moment the feelings changed -

- The final price (from the web and the mails, no negotiation, no discount) went up from 8,900 Baht to 9,900 Baht (they need to schedule me on a speed boat one of the two days).

- This price does not include the renting of a camera (for a day for the under water photography dive ...) of 1,200 Baht

- Etc.

I called another shop: Dive Indeep.
- They gave me the whole package: one on one instructor, dives, transfers, lunches ... for 8,400 Baht.
- I dove two days in Koh Tao, and got there with a speed boat.
- I used their camera. No extra charge.

By the way, all (or most) of the instructors in Samui are short term foreign (i.e., European) - so the quality depands on luck.

I was lucky.

Dolevr

Hey dolevr,

that's a pretty useful piece of info you got there.

How's the standard and service of the instructors?

Are they confident and professional?

I guess besides the price,the quality of instructors we are getting is impt too rite?

Hope you can share more with fellow divers here....

Cheers!!!

:cheers:

While I was doing the AOW I met three of the instructors:

Dave, Englihman, already with Indeep about 1 year. Dave is professional and at the same time funny. He was very efficient in arranging the technical and logistic side of the training, transportation, etc. He was doing a 1-on-1 open water training to a German guy and it seemed pretty thorough.

Cara, also English, came there about 2 months ago from Cyprus and is going back to Cyprus to manage a dive shop. She did the 5 AOW dives with me, vert thorough on the details, the planning and the guidance while diving. This was also on a 1-to-1 base.

Neil, I met him only once, also from England - he was doing an OW course for a Dutch couple and they seemed to get a lot from him as well.

I hope this helps.

Dolevr

That's cool man.....the next time when i'm going Samui,i know who to look for.....

Thanks!!!

:cluck:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom