AOW in Phuket and Similan daytrip in November!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fredi

Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
.I am doing my AOW with the Warm Water Divers in Phuket.They are located at the Amari Beach Hotel.Anyone dived with them?Would love to hear your experiences and comments!

Yes,
I did a few courses with WWD a little while back. Their style fit me - they actually cared about standards. In Phuket everybody books on each others' boats for almost the same rates. So you just dive with the shop and instructors that make you comfortable. After a few days on a few different boats for fun dives and some specialty courses, I was satisfied that I had chosen the right shop.
Good luck, and spend a little time thinking about your adventure dives.

D

Fredi,

The diving with Phuket dive shops is kind of different. Everyone has a schedule so if you plan on doing a lot of diving, it's almost impossible to go to where you want to go with only one dive shop.

I'm familiar with WWD. They carry Mares exclusively. I have one of their t-shirts but have never dived with them.

Tho, I have dived in Phuket many times. Make sure you get to choose your Adventure dives! When I signed up for mine, I really didn't get a choice. The boat I was on just happened to be going to the King Cruiser that day so they "made" me do the wreck Adventure Dive. I really had no choice.

Good luck, relax and have fun. Phuket diving is great. If you get the chance, do a liveaboard. They are only four days in Phuket. Everytime I go, I always see Whalesharks and Mantas.

If you don't have time, do a one day trip with Marina Divers. They have a Cat that is fast enough to do one day trips to the Similians. Well worth the day trip!

Chris

Hi all,

You mentioned Phuket is great. Which are the dive sites that you went to. I am planning a 2 day dive off Phuket. Will be putting up at Patong beach area, so which DC should I goto. And where did you spotted the mattas and whale?

I would highly recommend Marina Divers at: http://www.marinadivers.com/

They have a day trip that most shops (almost all of them) can't do. They have a pretty fast Catamaran that'll will go to the Similans. That's were you can see mantas and whalesharks.

Their service is also very nice. After the second dive they'd give out these lovely fruit tarts. I don't know if they still do this but it was very nice after diving.

The best diving would be on the liveaboards but only 2 days won't cut it. Take one day, pay the money and go to the Similans. All the other dive sites are usually crowded.

Chris

I will be heading for phuket next week and will be diving with them, but unfortunately their schedule don't cater for similan day trip in October ;-0

Btw Universal Diver, What do you mean they have day trip which most shop can't do :confused: which dive site are you referring to, maybe I can rearrange my dive plans when I'm there and head out for exotic dive site instead :D :wink:

On Marina Divers' website, I couldn't find anything about them not going to Similans in October. Please, double check.

The dive sites I was referring to were the Similan Islands. Most of the dive sites are a good 2 hour boat ride on the slow boats but their catamaran is fast enough to go all the way out to the Similans. To this day, I've only heard of only one other dive shop able to do this on a daily basis.

They do the basic everyday dive sites, Shark Point, King Cruiser, Koh Dok Mai, Anemone Reef, the Racha's Yai and Noi, but these are the dive sites everyone goes to. They are nice if they aren't over crowded.

Marina Divers also does a one night deal to Phi Phi Island. This is were they filmed the movie, "The Beach".

Believe it or not, my favorite dive of all of these local sites is Koh Dok Mai. Nice wall dive that can become a drift if the current picks up.

I usually go to Phuket in April or in December. I don't know their boat schedules for October, I'm just going by what their website says at the moment.

I wish I could head out there with you. I'll be going to San Francisco tomorrow with the family. I live in Japan so it's a pretty big trip. Just got back from Malaysia and did some diving so I have to suck it up and go for a dry trip with my wife.

Let us know how the diving was.

Chris

I too have used Marina Divers back in February, including a day trip to the Similans. Just be aware that if the seas are the least bit rough, the fast catamaran may not make it to the intended dive site. If conditions were a little rough, when I was there, they would divert to a closer dive site , such as Koh Dok Mai. While the viz at Koh Dok Mai cannot compare to the Similans, the variety of marine life was surprisingly good then, including Ghost Pipefish and Seahorse.

Well, I'm not sure abt you, but all I see on their website for Sept till October 03 are Koh Racha Yai, King Cruiser Wreck, Shark Point .
It is only their Schedule for November til End April that include Koh Similan day trip :( Unless I have enough people to make the number ie 18 pax, then maybe Koh similan can be requested, Of course got to consider the sea condition too. otherwise we just got to follow their schedule for October 2003 :rolleyes:

Well, we'll see how things goes when we get there, for all you know , they might organise one koh similan checkout dives for us :D :)

Will let you guys know when I get back :wink:

You are certainly correct. I apologize. With getting older and being slightly color blind, I couldn't see the dates that were posted above the schedule.:(

My humblest apologies. I also agree of what reefwreck mentioned. It is a long boat ride and things could get rough. If they do it wouldn't sit too well for your vacation.

I do think you'll still get some good diving in. There are plenty of dive sites to spread around. If you are short on time (daytrips last all day), then go to Kata Beach and do some shore dives.

Phuket is great. The water is warm, and there's plenty to do on the topside.

Have fun.

Chris

Back
Top Bottom