AOI UH-EM1 III housing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bill got here before I did; as far as settings the only thing I would add is that I have the camera set to fill flash as for whatever reason it won't let me shoot with reduced manual flash settings.

While the AOI trigger doesn't do TTL with the D2s, it works great in RC mode with the Backscatter MF-2 strobes.

I determined that the issues was with my fiber cables. I bought some new ones and that fixed the issue.

The confusing instructions on the RC mode can be ignored. That's what I also figured out. I also can only use it in "Fill Flash"mode, not in manual flash settings.

RC mode is what Olympus calls TTL.
works fine with both the Backscatter and the AOI strobes that support RC mode.
Bill

That's right Bill but my understanding is that it triggers strobes wirelessly ie Radio Control.

Certainly not by Radio (I think that would be quite difficult). On land you use the built in flash (if your camera has one) and external flashes. Underwater you need a FO cable to the strobe. The R in RC means remote I think, not Radio.
You can "see" the string of low power flash pulses that the commanding unit sends. (Used a solar cell and did an "audio" recording to see them). Can be the pop-up flash on E-PL1/PL2/P3 or the add-on accessory flash on E-PL3/PM1/M5 or the unique case of E-M5 plus FL-600R set as a commander. The sequences are basically weak strobe outputs (I don't know the protocol) that tell the remote strobe what to do
It is simply Olympus's "better" ttl.

To add on to Bill's explanations, my understanding is that the trigger will do TTL only via the RC mode in the camera. This is a little confusing because you could get TTL with the YS-D2 strobes in other housings with Olympus cameras by just using the Olympus flash unit, or a dedicated trigger like the Turtle.

@Backscatter::Jim can you clarify for us? Can the AOI flash triggers do regular old fashioned TTL, or only RC TTL?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom