Anything else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NightRaven77

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey guys (and gals)

I have just purchased my first digital camera (powershot s1 is) and a housing for it....

I am going to Cozumel to break'er in.....

This is my first underwater housing and want to know things I should do before taking it underwater for the first time....

I just want to make sure I have covered everything I need to so I dont have a major disaster with my new camera....

Thanks for any divine knowledge you may give....

NightRaven77 :crafty:

Congratulations and good luck with it.
1. Keep the camera/housing in a soft beverage cooler when on the dive boats to keep it insulated from the heat.
2. Check the housing carefully for any leaks every time you put in the ocean before descending with it.
3. Be completely familiar with all the features of your camera and how to quickly access them via the housing controls. I consider this to be most important especially when in a place like Cozumel where the currents can be very strong. Time is of the essence.
4. Don't forget to bring all the necessary camera attachments with you so as to be able to view your pics on a TV, re-charge your batteries etc.

Added to Gilligan's excellent advice....before you take the camera down, test the housing first. Prepare the housing as you normally would and take it down without the camera to check for leaks.

In addition to the great advice you have already received. I would also find a knowledgeable photographer at the dive store or resort that can give you some hands on demonstrations regarding your specific equipment. They can also give you valuable advice regarding how to photograph the local marine life.

If your housing is clear they can also show you what to look for when closing the case. In most instances you will be able to see the ‘o’ ring being compressed as the case closes. I spend an extra second to ensure that I can see all sides of the case compressing the ‘o’ ring. Regretfully, I speak with experience in this area.

Westwinds

Back
Top Bottom