Anyone with experience on the Mares XR BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

R4cOOn

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I'm looking to change my (back inflated) BCD for a BP/W.
I saw the Mares XR product and I'd like to know if anyone can share their experience / advice on it.

Why I'm looking at it:
- DIR-style BP/W
- Price (439EUR)
- Weight (sub 3kg, so +1kg lighter than my BCD)
- Looks good in red
- Barebone (so less that can break / go wrong)

Cons:
- not sure about a Mares BP/W
- barebone (no cushion or anything)
- no weight pocket / storage system

Cheers,
--
Arnaud

I’ve been looking at this one as well for a while. The red version is called the “red devil” it was a limited edition. The new color is called blue battle which is blue camo. Visually they are both really nice. I can’t speak to the function as I haven’t come across any real world reviews of usage. Only shops reviewing them on YouTube. I do love the shape of their BP

Bryan @Lake Hickory Scuba reviewed one on YouTube not too long ago and seems to dive one as his primary rig for most of his diving. I've been toying with a BP/W setup for a little bit and I know my LDS has nothing but great things to say about it. The owner even dives one himself and loves it. I will say if nothing else, it looks the part! But how it stacks up to some of the more well-known BP/W rigs like Dive Rite, Halcyon, OMS, Hollis, etc. I couldn't say.

Mares does not have as many dealers in the US as other brands, so there gear is less popular here. Also, they came late to the BP/W party and the pricing is high in the US. Consequently, I don't think too many people use them. I have both sizes of the wing but unfortunately, I have not had a chance to dive either of them yet. The shell of the wing is flexible which is good for traveling. The bladder is urethane which I do not like, I prefer the fabric bladders which most companies seem to be using. I have not checked the fittings to see if they are standard or not. The wing is narrow like the DSS, Oxycheq, Apeks, etc. which I have dove. So I don't expect any surprises when I use it.

I do not have the backplate. I agree it is cool but it is expensive. The Dive Rite plate seems to match up with it fine. As far as pads go I believe Mares does make a pad that fits this backplate. If not a Dive Rite pad should work as it is designed to be as universal as possible. It should not be difficult to add aftermarket weight pockets and a storage system.

Let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks for the feedback.

I'd like to have the feedback from someone that actually dove them.
The comments so far are quite favourable though.

Cheers.

Hello @R4cOOn, sorry I haven't responded sooner. We have been using the Mares XR line since its beginning, and have been nothing but impressed with them. In the past I have used and sold most of the major gear manufactures including their back plate and wings. Mares can definitely hold their own. Just as a quick frame of reference here, we use ours for more than just technical and recreational diving, we are also an underwater salvage company, and do a ton of Public Safety Diving. Basically we put ours through hell and back. Here are several of our videos showing you how we set ours up, and why we like them.

We also have a few more videos on how to assemble the systems if you have any questions. Simply search Lake Hickory Scuba on YouTube, and then look for our playlist. Feel free to contact us at anytime if you have any specific questions, and we will be glad to help you.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers.
I’m not sure what someone that has dove this specific rig could tell you that has not already been said. It’s a BP/W, for a given wing size they will all pretty much all dive the same. I bet that you could do a blind test with any of the manufacturers rigs and not tell a difference, baring harness adjustment. From what I have seen Mares seems to be way overpriced for what it is. If I was looking for a new BP/W I would be purchasing the one from Divegearexpress.com. There is nothing an $800 BP/W can do that the one from DGX can’t. DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package

Thank you for the link to DGX, I didn't know the shop.
Unfortunately I'm located in the EU and DGX's prices become pretty much the same as Mares' once you take into account the import duty and the local taxes :-(
Taking into account warranty and service I'd rather go for something that is distributed locally in EU.

Mares' pricing is very aggressive (especially on the red model that's no longer available).
It's the cheapest brand BP/W system that I've seen around here.

Thank you and @Lake Hickory Scuba for the feedback.
I'll meet my diving club this week and get their advice.
I'll certainly order it then.

Cheers.

Thanks for the feedback.

Cheers.

According to FedEx my Mares Red Devil is actually arriving tomorrow and I will dive with it next weekend so I'll share my thoughts. However, @LakeHickoryScuba did seem to do a very good job.

Cons:

- barebone (no cushion or anything)
- no weight pocket / storage system

While there are some people that like their backplate cushion, the vast majority of people that I've seen worried about wanting a backplate cushion quickly realize that it's a non-issue in use. The idea of a rigid backplate seems uncomfortable but it's really not.

As for weight pockets/storage systems, the mares bp/w uses 2" webbing like basically every other bp/w. If you want to add weight pockets, go for it. There isn't anything about the mares system that appears to prevent you from doing so.

Back
Top Bottom