Anyone want to get Techy ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Conor

Reaction score
I was just thinking of my training wish list and womdered what you guys want to do training wise.

You never know if there are a few of us wanting to do the same courses we might even be able to work out some training weekends, either with instructors on the boards or through one of the better schools.

So for me the list is;

Need to do immediately......
Dry-suit (specialty or just orientation)

Want to do........
Nitrox/Advanced Nitrox
Wreck
Deco Procedures

When I'm all grown up..........
Advanced Wreck
Extended Range

If I ever give up smoking.......
DIRF

Guess I just wasn't born to be a fish spotter

In the short term (ie 1-2 years) I will do my rescue and dm courses.

In the long term I would like to do my Nitrox/advanced Nitrox
I thought about doing a wreck speciality but several people have advised me that a cave diving course would be better, so will be doing one or the other, possibly both :)

At the moment I have no interest in anything beyond that but never say never :wink:

Good point, for Wreck I should have said basic wreck/Cavern/Overhead.

I'm up to Rescue (great course btw) but am not sure about doing DM, but thats one I could end up doing in a year or two if the opportunity arises

Haven't done my rescue yet for the simple reason that I want to be rescue capable, not rescue qualified :wink: Obviously I have no idea how you dive so I am not making assumptions about it. I came back from a holiday recently where I caused a bit of upset by refusing to dive with some-one who is rescue qualified but who I feel wouldn't be able to rescue herself never mind me if either of us got into difficulty, I don't want that to be the case when I become rescue qualified.

Funny I have no interest what so ever in becoming an Instructor but DM has always appealed to me, for me it is things like learning to map a dive site properly, drawing up safety plans and being able to take people in on their very first try dive and see their faces when they breathe underwater for the first time :wink:

Still debating the whole extended range thing, not sure that I want to dive much deeper than I do at the moment although for the sake of my dive insurance it might be worth doing as there are times on a dive that you find yourself at 31/32 metres when you are only covered to 30.

I have to agree, with just about all of that. You can learn a lot on a Rescue course, but you should be a confident individual diver before you start learning how to dive for two. Just about all my diving is warmwater and I reckoned I was ready for rescue for those kinds of environments, rescue in UK conditions may be very different, I'll have to see.

I had a girlfriend who went almost straight from AOW to Rescue, but she was exceptional, a true natural underwater. Its a difficult choice to make, do you delay taking the course until you feel you would get the most out of it but in doing so accept that if something happens in the mean time you will not have the training to deal with it, I don't reckon there is a right answer.

The DM bit, have to agree as well, its a shame that PADI don't do a Dive Leader course for people who don't want to go Pro, but I guess that would conflict with their whole business model.

I would like to train in Nitrox/Deco etc, the main reason being there is quite a lot of interesting stuff around at depth that I would be able to see or spend more time at.

As for how I dive, I have now idea, ask an independant witness. I still make a mistakes and am still learning. But for the conditions I normally dive, by comparison to those around me, I do ok I guess.

Not taken rescue just yet cos I don't rate myself being able to control (properly) 2 drysuited divers at once in hostile conditions.

Like to do Basic Wreck, Adv Nitrox and Deco end of year? Maybe rescue before that and DM after.

Looking for good instructors. Cost is now secondary to training.

I noticed that you can do TDI Nitrox and Advanced Nitrox as a combined 3 day course with the DIR guys in Portland, it might be worth a look if a few are interested. Especially if DIRF is on your to-do list.

I reckon for Rescue you have to be able to control yourself reliably, that way the task loading of looking after another diver isn't too big a leap. I wouldn't have considered myself able to control bouyancy of two divers prior to the course, but that was what the course is there to teach you. And to be honest the CBL(controlled buoyant lift) is a lot easier than you first think.

Thats the thing that I have a niggley feeling about. Need to speak to a few more instructors. One says deflate BC then use BC to do lift, which is more manageable. Need a few more dives in my current kit before I'll be 'happy' with my trim. (DS dumps too much on ascent when vertical).

Done TDI Nitrox. Not sure if I would do a combined Adv Nitrox and Deco. Might want to do them seperately. I am actually thinking about a week (mid week) in Dorset, though I need to mail em re: kit config, IE if I do a TDI course not DIR-F, what do I need. Might even need more of a play with twins before hand?

I reckon you do what you feel works best for you, personally I prefer to dump my air and use casualties BC for lift, would probably do the same in a DS. I guess it'll depend on what you preference is for controlling your own buoyancy, i.e. DS or BC. If you get the right instuctor he/she should let you try a few lifts using different combinations until you know what it is works for you.

The new portland website links to the TDI course requiremnts which details the kit you need. and I believe they hire everything you need as well. I'll hopefully sort out some training soon. can't wait to get back in the water

You got a point, might just go for it.

In my mind its (as I use BC for bouyancy and my buddy his DS) shift bouyancy; from his DS to BC and maybe some of my BC to his, before attempting ascent.

Yeah those are the guidelines. Some guys prefer wing only configs, etc. EG Deep Blue - Plymouth. Either way, I think one needs twins, and I am not sure whether my BC can handle it. Have twin bands on order to experiment.

Back
Top Bottom