Anyone using a PLB while diving???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jagfish:
Learn something everyday...

Now I need one.

JAG
My thoughts exactly.....I started out reading this thread thinking, " What the hell does this guy need THAT for? This guys got a serious operation goin on". Then by the end of the thread, Im thinkin that Im gonna look around and get more info on one for myself!

Yep, Learn something new......

esqeddy:
I carry a small mesh poach on my BCD on my left flank behind my left arm. It is completely out of the way. It is my safety equipment poach. I have a sausage, whistle, mirror, pocket mask, night stick, and flare inside. I would love to include a PLB. Notice that the things I carry are only items which would be used on the surface such that quick underwater access is not necessary.
As a matter of interest, what flares do you use and do you take any extra precautions to waterproof them (vacuum packing, for example)?

P.S. I agree with you absolutely that a PLB is a very desirable element of any safety kit - I'm just waiting until prices here in Australia get a little less unreasonable. Until then, my kit is much the same as yours tho' I add a spare knife and, for strong current drift dives in hot weather, a hat and water.

And here's a good example of why PLB's might be a good idea - go to www.divernet.com/news/stories/missing230604.shtml

fdog,

Thanks for the great information!
I already have a 406 Epirb for my boat, but was considering one of these very portable units for taking on other vessels and as a back up.
I think I'll wait a little longer too.

Chad

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom