Anyone used a Divesoft Freedom DDC Computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary_Ward

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I'm interested in switching up my PPO2 monitor and dive computer package on the CCR. I'd like to go down the Shearwater Petrel 2 EXT and the fischer cable to hard wire to the O2 sensors - but that's out of my price bracket. Price and short term availability are also a crunch on the option of a distinct PO2 monitor and separate computer... so I'm looking to go all in one. The Divesoft seems to have much of the same functionality, but I wanted to see if anyone has any hands on experience? All of my diving will be within recreational dive limits (ie no deco dives and max 40m).

I'm aware that the menu structure is more challenging than the Shearwater, but that's a learning thing, an I could always RTFM (shock horror huh!).

Anyway, gimme your thoughts

I have a Divesoft Liberty and have also used the Divesoft Freedom computer several times (it's my wife's). I have been diving a Petrel Open Circuit for almost 5 years now. There are things better about the Shearwater and other things better about the Divesoft.

If you have a specific question I could answer, I'd be happy to.

In general terms, they're very similar in terms of functionality. The Divesoft took some learning for me, but very few things were at all "difficult" to learn on it. RTFM and you'll be fine. The only thing I struggled with initially is the Tilt/Tap for some settings changes.

I think you'll be very happy with the Divesoft Freedom, and you would be with the Petrel EXT.

I have dive soft on one CCR, petrel on the other.
I think you’ll find that the Dive Soft is pretty pricey compared to the petrel.

I like them both, but the Dive Soft will do a lot more.

Tbone, is that the fully unlocked Freedom? I haven’t looked at the price list in a while, but I thought that was missing some features.

Tbone, is that the fully unlocked Freedom? I haven’t looked at the price list in a while, but I thought that was missing some features.

that's with everything including the cable. $950 without the cable which is $15 more than a Perdix AI, but can be connected.
Freedom Closed Circuit | Divesoft

I'd probably recommend for most divers to grab the $150 nitrox analyzer if you don't have one already since it's about the same cost as every other analyzer out there but is one less battery to bother with

Okay, I think I’m remembering wrong then.

Anyway, it’s a solid computer. I like both of mine.
The games for long deco are especially appreciated.

I think that if Shearwater would allow uploads of movies to the Perdix or Petrel, it’d be a game changer. Surely everything is there in terms of hardware to make it happen.

What's missing? It has storage capacity. I don't know what the Petrel has but the liberty has like 8gb of storage.

It's got display drivers obviously. And upload capability through bluetooth.

What's missing? It has storage capacity. I don't know what the Petrel has but the liberty has like 8gb of storage.

It's got display drivers obviously. And upload capability through bluetooth.

Start with the fact it runs on a single AA battery and is designed to be super low power. It's not a general purpose computer.

“display drivers” “liberty has like 8gb of storage” :rofl3:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom