Anyone Use/Try the Octomask? Looking for a GoPro Mount Idea

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SubNeo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I've tried a handful of mounts and methods so far, ranging from just managing it on a stick to pushing it under a chest strap. Both did not work well, due to the amount of management necessary (especially for a newer diver who is trying to break a bad habit of arm use) and the fact my stupid BCD remote likes to hop in-frame the entire time.

I've seen some YouTubers using Octomasks to mount the GoPro, but the reviews seem mixed. It either appears to work exceptionally well, or doesn't and causes a headache (or breaks easily etc etc etc). Anyone have any firsthand advice/experience with this brand?

I should note it was hard to find a mask that fit when I was getting started, eventually the Oceanic Shadow was my selection and I've had minimal leaks my last few dives. I have to tighten the mask a bit uncomfortably to get a good seal, it seems my face isn't a "typical seal" kind of face.

Some divers who were much more experienced were using the GoPro wrist mount as they were going spearfishing on a charter I was on a few weeks ago. Is that a good option?

We offer several different options for mounting a Go Pro. If you are looking for a mount that is very close to zero-task, then a mask mount or a head strap should work. These types of mounts work reasonably well, but you will have to concentrate on moving your head slowly and it will still have some stability issues. A hand-held mount is more stable and preferable, if you primary goal is shooting video. If you want to capture a bird's eye view with a minimum amount of bother, a head mount is a good choice.

We offer two basic options. A dedicated Go Pro mask which has a mount for the camera.

If you feel that you have a little trouble finding a mask you like and doesn't leak and want to stick with what you have - Then we also offer a very inexpensive option. It is a head strap, which should be compatible with all typical dive masks.

Head straps for Gopro are pretty common and can be found anywhere, but the basic strap is NOT suitable for a diver. The problems is that it is very easy to have it slide off your head on entry, in a current or breaking waves etc. If you wear a hood, it makes the normal head mount even more prone to camera loss.

What we have done is added a very simple chin strap. To use the strap, you first put your mask on, then slide the head strap on, then pull down the chin strap, THEN put you regulator or snorkel in. The chin strap reallt reduces the chances that the strap will move around on your head, but even if it does, camera loss will be prevented because, it will be captured around your regulator hose or snorkel.

I've provided some links below.

Thanks
Dano

Freedive Mask with GoPro Mount

MFMGPM-2__45130.1614197625.jpg

Chin Strap Head Band Combo

chin-strap-head-band-mask-on.jpg

Not saying this is you, but typically, divers with less than 25 dives are better served working on trim and practicing all the basic skills that were shared in class(s). As you said, learning not to use hands is a good one to practice. If you want something more to do while diving, work on navigation skills, adjusting buoyancy and depth with just your lungs, or improving finning. Once you have all those down pat, your photography will be much better.

The worst videos are those 30+ minute ones from people with the camera on their head. Nauseating with the camera constantly moving around. And 30+ minutes of mostly boring nothing interrupted by random hand movements.

Eventually you may want to get a tray and light or just clip off your camera and only pull it out when you see something really cool. Hopefully someday you will have 1000’s of dives and plenty of time to take lots of pics.

I've tried a handful of mounts and methods so far, ranging from just managing it on a stick to pushing it under a chest strap. Both did not work well, due to the amount of management necessary (especially for a newer diver who is trying to break a bad habit of arm use) and the fact my stupid BCD remote likes to hop in-frame the entire time.
Several years ago, I bought a GoMask by XSFoto. My other mask is an Oceanic Shadow, so this might work for you. You’d have to try it, though, and don’t pull the strap too tight. Pulling it too tight can put the frame against your forehead.

As you are a newer diver, a mask mount may be better than any of the other options, as you don’t really need to do much with the camera during the dive.

Not saying this is you, but typically, divers with less than 25 dives are better served working on trim and practicing all the basic skills that were shared in class(s). As you said, learning not to use hands is a good one to practice. If you want something more to do while diving, work on navigation skills, adjusting buoyancy and depth with just your lungs, or improving finning. Once you have all those down pat, your photography will be much better.
True. I certainly wouldn’t recommend a new diver to carry anything in their hands until they are comfortable with the diving itself. Having a record of those hand movements from a mask mounted camera may be helpful, though. The new diver may not realize how often it happens, so watching the record after may be useful for improvement. I know there are things I notice watching the video that I didn’t pick up on during the dive.

The worst videos are those 30+ minute ones from people with the camera on their head. Nauseating with the camera constantly moving around. And 30+ minutes of mostly boring nothing interrupted by random hand movements.
Agree completely. Learning to edit after the dive is critical. As has been mentioned, the mask mounted camera will result in some unwatchable video, but the diver can learn to slow down the head movements to make it more watchable. That’s generally a good thing.

Even if the footage is all smooth, trim it down before posting on YouTube. I try to keep my dive videos down in the 3 minute range. May go slightly longer for dives with a lot of interesting points, but that’s about it. No one wants to watch every single minute of a dive.

Eventually you may want to get a tray and light or just clip off your camera and only pull it out when you see something really cool. Hopefully someday you will have 1000’s of dives and plenty of time to take lots of pics.
I participated in a reef cleanup yesterday and wound up taking control of the navigation of the dive because the experienced diver I was with had no compass. I used it to keep us inside the designated zone and away from the boat channel.

The main reason I was thinking to just go head was to be able to "not bother" with it and focus on my buoyancy and arms habit, both of which have gotten noticeably better in only 3 dives since starting to focus on breaking the bad habits. Plus I found a cute stingray and my remote blocked half the shot on my chest mount idea.

Several years ago, I bought a GoMask by XSFoto. My other mask is an Oceanic Shadow, so this might work for you. You’d have to try it, though, and don’t pull the strap too tight. Pulling it too tight can put the frame against your forehead.

As you are a newer diver, a mask mount may be better than any of the other options, as you don’t really need to do much with the camera during the dive.

True. I certainly wouldn’t recommend a new diver to carry anything in their hands until they are comfortable with the diving itself. Having a record of those hand movements from a mask mounted camera may be helpful, though. The new diver may not realize how often it happens, so watching the record after may be useful for improvement. I know there are things I notice watching the video that I didn’t pick up on during the dive.

Agree completely. Learning to edit after the dive is critical. As has been mentioned, the mask mounted camera will result in some unwatchable video, but the diver can learn to slow down the head movements to make it more watchable. That’s generally a good thing.

Even if the footage is all smooth, trim it down before posting on YouTube. I try to keep my dive videos down in the 3 minute range. May go slightly longer for dives with a lot of interesting points, but that’s about it. No one wants to watch every single minute of a dive.

I will say the arm movements happen almost exclusively when I am "putting the breaks on" and trying to slow down to avoid either bumping someone or hitting coral/the bottom. My buddy did comment afterwards saying I had moments where my arms were tucked together under my belly, but there were times where they were "swimming pool swimming" around or being used over my fins.

Also during the cleanup dive, I was managing the compass, fighting a strong current trying to pull us to the boat channel, equalizing as we kept going up and down over artificial reefs, wore gloves (and was able to still reach all my equipment), checking my GoPro mount spot, tracking my buddies in 10ft vis, and managing a tow-along bag to throw trash in + looking for trash. I won't say I didn't drag the bag a little on the sand (hah...), but this is the first time I've managed this many tasks simultaneously, and I kept it all together. I feel like I'm already becoming a solo diver; I'm already considering buying a pony bottle for bailout, mainly because so far the buddies I've gone with don't manage me the way I manage them back. I treat it like driving, at any given time I want to be able to answer to a backseat driver "yea my buddy is about 5 meters behind me" or such (while they go "heck I'm out, keep up" and swim off). While I want to rely on my buddy, I'm the kind of person who wants to have plan Bs available where they make sense.

I run a YouTube channel and my career is Information Technology lol, I've been editing videos for years. :wink:

The video below I managed the camera in my hand the entire dive and kept the good shots. I would not have been able to do this in my last dive when I had to keep one hand on the compass and the other free for equalizing and other uses.

Don’t most people who mask mount edit out the boring parts before publishing ? I did see a channel though where the guy published to YT entire dive length videos including some very unflattering shots of his wife but this is more of an exception

Earlier, I tried to emphasize that a head mount (mask or head strap) is going to present some challenges with stability etc. I also mentioned that it provides a significant advantage of keeping both hands free and delivers a somewhat unique perspective as well.

I'm sure any really serious photographer or videographer is going to prefer to have a more stable platform than the human neck in most situations, but these requires considerably more attention and task loading associated with filming.

On the other hand, with some practice, concentration and selective editing, it is possible to generate some "useable" video with a head mount. The video attached below, was shot entirely from a Go Pro on a head strap (while freediving). I personally think it does a decent job of conveying the underwater scenes even though there are obvious portions which include extraneous head movement and instability.

It might also be worth noting that filming from the surface (while freediving and snorkeling) subjects the diver to wave action and splashing etc. which could be avoided by a submerged scuba diver. The newer Go Pro's have a built in capability to automatically help stabilize the video.

I'm sure there are many much better examples of quality underwater video taken from a head camera, but I offer this one as a quick example that a very inexpensive head mount may serve the purposes of certain users quite well.

Thanks
Dano

Earlier, I tried to emphasize that a head mount (mask or head strap) is going to present some challenges with stability etc. I also mentioned that it provides a significant advantage of keeping both hands free and delivers a somewhat unique perspective as well.

I'm sure any really serious photographer or videographer is going to prefer to have a more stable platform than the human neck in most situations, but these requires considerably more attention and task loading associated with filming.

On the other hand, with some practice, concentration and selective editing, it is possible to generate some "useable" video with a head mount. The video attached below, was shot entirely from a Go Pro on a head strap (while freediving). I personally think it does a decent job of conveying the underwater scenes even though there are obvious portions which include extraneous head movement and instability.

It might also be worth noting that filming from the surface (while freediving and snorkeling) subjects the diver to wave action and splashing etc. which could be avoided by a submerged scuba diver. The newer Go Pro's have a built in capability to automatically help stabilize the video.

I'm sure there are many much better examples of quality underwater video taken from a head camera, but I offer this one as a quick example that a very inexpensive head mount may serve the purposes of certain users quite well.

Thanks
Dano

I'm not filming for television haha, the original topic of this thread was to ask for either advice on a brand or comments on Octomasks. I know Dallmyd has used it (and might still use it) for his shots, and I'd say with Hypersmooth the footage looks pretty good.

For any halfway decent video you need to manage the camera actively. Which means having it in your hand. I just use a stick. Ive tried wrist mount and sticking it in my BCD etc and the results were crap. Like others said, once you have a bunch of dives and stable trim and buoyancy the video will get better. Of course post production editing is still a must.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom