Anyone use the new Inon UCL-100LD/UCL-100M67 close-up lens yet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlMitch

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey there
I have recently bought the Sony RX100 (after much deliberation) and am now about to buy a few wet lenses. The first is a good close up lens for macro (we all know the Sony needs a macro wet lens to get decently close to the action). My local underwater photography shop just made me aware of Inon's brand new macro lens the UCL-100LD/UCL-100M67. INON NEWS: UCL-100LD/UCL-100M67 Close-up lens
From the first glance this looks like an amazing lens. Supposedly it has little vignetting at 28mm, which means this should be a really vesatile macro lens. AND I can stack my ucl-165M67 onto it for super macro. Happy days.... I think....
Any one use this lens yet or have any comments on its use with the Sony RX100?

Yes, I have a RX-100 and also looking into macro wet lens (the famed "macro capabilit"y of RX-100). Appreciate if anyone who has some experiences with the new UCL-100M67 can share some experiences and/or the Sub See +10 diopter given they are similar in terms of performance. Subsee is a bit cheaper I believe.

Can the sub-see +10 be used for the full zoom range? I was led to believe you had to zoom right up to the max to avoid vignetting.
The Sub see is about $225 while the Inon is closer to $300.
I'm also tossing up between these two lenses, so a comparison would be really helpful.

I think I am to blame for the 'scarce' macro capability of the rx100 as my blog has lots of hits on that post
However I meant the macro out of the box, the camera has great quality once you have a diopter that for real macro is mandatory anyway
The new inon is built in a similar way of the subsee and on paper has the same power of 10.
What you need to consider though is that inon focal lenght are usually measured from the back of the lens that is the front of your camera port. As this diopter is quite thick at over 3cm this means the working distance will be less then 10 cm or 4" probably 7.5cm or 3" and anything further away will be out of focus
Now you need to think how many times can you get that close? If you have nothing to help you between that distance and 20cm or 8" your macro ability will be somewhat restricted so you need to get another less powerful diopter. When you stack 10+6 you are mostly hitting the critter so be careful to test the lenses before making a buy

Very useful. What is the distance between the front of the lens and your subject at 28 and 105mm equivalent? Is it the 5 - 8 you mention that I guess will be 5 for 28 and 8 for 105?
Basically that confirms what I said and this end on a compact is really if you can get that close
You still need something else if you can't get 7-8 cm away for any reason

Aimitch
Those shots are taken with the S90 a camera that has a smaller capture area of the RX100. As I can see from the pictures from aron even with the s90 this lens gets you a reproduction ratio of 1.2:1 with the RX100 will be less probably just 1:1. And now you will need to be within 3" from your subject. From my experience with the RX100 the camera struggles with focus even between 3" and 5" so you risk of not having any solution if you have to shoot in that range and you can't get closer
The quality of this lens though is impressive!

I'll definitely take the camera with and try it out first before I buy it. Warning noted.
How close does the Sub sea +10 focus from the lens? Does it give you more room to work with?

They will be similar with maybe half inch variation
Ideally you want something in the 4-8" range and something in the 2-4" range working distance but it depends on what you shoot
People talk about macro but unless you really are in macro location most critters are bigger than one inch

Back
Top Bottom