Anyone teach Spanish on the island?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mikecolorado

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone teach Spanish on the island that would work being able to teach in the afternoon after returning from diving each day? Have a basic tourist and restaurant Spanish down, but dang I'd like to learn some more.

Thanks
Mike

There’s bunches, even more variety in the summer when school is out - post that question on Facebook Cozumel 4 you or Cozumel my Cozumel - you’ll get more than a few referrals.

Please post what you find--all I could find were in-depth, long-term courses and what I was looking for was just some basic, survival terms and expressions for my girlfriend. Ya know, like "donde esta el bano" and "cuanto cuesta" etc. I was somewhat expecting our hotel to offer such a course.

Please post what you find--all I could find were in-depth, long-term courses and what I was looking for was just some basic, survival terms and expressions for my girlfriend. Ya know, like "donde esta el bano" and "cuanto cuesta" etc. I was somewhat expecting our hotel to offer such a course.

Your request can easily be met on line and with a speaker to help with pronunciation.

There's apps for your phone that will do phrases, heck you can even point your camera at something and it'll interpret what it sees.

There's bunches of people here that will be happy to work with you and teach you as much as you want - again the Cozumel Facebook pages are your best bet to search those folks out, you do not have to take a full course.

Cab drivers are usually happy to converse in a mix of Spanish and English. A good phrase to know, and please pardon any spelling errors, is, "Como se dice in Español...?" (How do you say in Spanish...?)

Online courses are great for learning basic grammar and vocabulary. My guess is that language schools on the island require a bigger commitment than a couple of hours each day for a week. Being there in person would be advantageous for becoming conversational after you’ve got the basics of forming sentences down. There are probably people happy to spend a couple of hours chatting with you and helping you correct mistakes.

If you look in a bookstore you'll find really nice, laminated even, cheat sheets with lots of words and phrases. I can't remember the brand name, but one brand has a series of those laminated, tri-fold sheets that cover words, phrases, verbs, grammar etc.

I have cousins that speak completely fluent Spanish. Their parents taught at a college level and they spent many years living all over South America. Anyhow, one of them taught me how to pronounce the vowels which makes a big difference in how you sound. a, e, i, o, and u are pronounced "ah, a, e, o, ew (as in cool)". That, and silent j's, double l's sound like y, a little understanding of where to put accents in words and knowing that word gender exists will give anyone a great start.

Online courses are great for learning basic grammar and vocabulary. My guess is that language schools on the island require a bigger commitment than a couple of hours each day for a week. Being there in person would be advantageous for becoming conversational after you’ve got the basics of forming sentences down. There are probably people happy to spend a couple of hours chatting with you and helping you correct mistakes.

Yep.

If you're on the island for a while (ie., in no rush), I'd suggest putting up a note on the bulletin board in El Cafe, seeking to exchange Spanish conversation for English.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom