Anyone Taken Seadoo scooter as Airline Carry-on?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pony

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I am wanting to take a seadoo style scooter on a dive trip. Anyone elso ever done so and will it go through security and fit in overhead? I don't think it'll pack well enough to survive checked luggage. Any info appreciated.

I have not traveled with a Seadoo. However, I just traveled with an X-Scooter packed in my checked luggage. No problems or damage. If you pack your scooter well, I don't think you'll have issues with it in checked luggage.

Jonathan

Just tell them it is case of an emergency water landing...

Depending on where you are going, it might be easier to ship it ahead of time, then ship it back. Not sure how Jonathan got a 100lb scooter into a 50lb max bag??

I think for the non-divers onboard the plane...they might be concerned that it looks like a b*mb!

:)

i would think you can, i would call your local airport and ask. the only reason i can think that they wouldnt let you is cause of all the moving parts and cavities in it. unless you can open it up for them to look inside.

I found this and it says that it meets airline regulations.....SEA DOO Seascooter Carry Bag

if you put it in a carryon suitcase it would def stop the x-ray machine and make you more eligible for a more personal search.

We saw 3 people with them on a trip to Bonaire. Definitely SeaDoo's - this one:
8528513.jpg

They were on our flight from DFW to SJU. One person sat near me, he didn't have any problem stowing it. They had them in a square soft pack, like a big padded cooler bag.

In San Juan though they had to check them at the plane since it's a tiny aircraft with smaller than standard bins. I had to check my roller there also.

Thanks everyone. Will try taking it through as carry on with plenty of time to check it in if I have too. I'll don't think I'll leave my VS in the lighter, shampoo and waterbottle bin it it doesn't pass.

One of our LDS’s has a half a dozen of them. Most leak somewhere every dive and at least one froze up on a dive.

I’m not impressed with them at all.

Gary D.

I haven't heard of anyone really having problems with the seadoo VS. Not many other options out there that won't break the bank. Bought this one "brand New in box" for $109 on a mislisted ebay sale. The seller took responsibility for the wrong item/picture and sold it to me anyway and ate the loss. Just couldn't pass it up.

Back
Top Bottom