Anyone still shooting film?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

moose_grunt

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My uncle did some cleaning over the holidays, and he passed on his Nikonos V setup to me. I'm on the fence as to whether I should actually take it out diving, or put it on display with some shells and other artifacts. I've dabbled off and on through the past 10 years or so with B&W, and even have an (also handed down by the same uncle years ago) enlarger packed away in the attic, but never got into color...

It's almost 2016. Is anyone still shooting film underwater? I know a lot of people still do B&W film (myself included), and the hipster kids would fight to the death over their Lomo cameras, but is anyone still using it diving? If so, any suggestions? What type of film? Home develop and print (or scan) or send off for development and scanning? Or has it become so cost-prohibitive and klunky that even those who used to do everything themselves (and enjoy it) have moved over to digital?

Jim

I'm thinking about getting back into it.

As I was stripping my gear after a dive recently a fellow returned to the car next to me carrying a Nikonos. I asked where he got his serviced & he said he did it himself. While downloading Nikonos service manuals I stumbled on an outfit that say's they will service them & verified this with a phone call. I'm just waiting to recover from the holidays to send mine in.

I've still got a Nikonos V, although it needs to be sent in for service, and I very much enjoy taking my Nikonos RS with me as well. It takes incredible photos. If you can find one for a decent price, buy it.

I have two friends that shoot medium-format film underwater. One has a darkroom but also digitizes negs for editing. IMHO, it is difficult to justify shooting 35mm underwater given the quality of digital cameras now, especially if you haven't developed a lot of skill with film. Medium format is another matter.

Last edited:
Go for it. Just accept the limitations. I shoot 35mm slides with an F100 Nikon.
1. The Nik V is limited compared to the RS (there are no cheap ones-they go for $2K and up and the lenses from $500 up.) You'll have to shoot manual.
2. You only get 36 shots per roll and you don't get to review them, so you have to depend on your light meter and settings.
3. Velvia 100 will cost you $8-10 per roll, and if you do slides, it'll be about $23 a roll for developing and quality scans so you can share them. (I use the Dark Room in San Clemente. They do mail order.) You'll have to wait a week or so to see the scans online, then another few days to get your slides.
On the plus side, my F100 takes lovely pictures. Many people like the color reproduction better than what I get on my D300. Also, film has a much higher megapixel equivalent than you can get in digital. You can also bore your friends with slide shows when you have a party. Also, I don't know about the Nik, but my Sea & Sea strobes do analog ttl quite nicely with the F100. If the Nik has SB105's with it, they'll work great. I know many former film shooters who are still using the SB's with their digital cam's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom