Anyone shooting Sony A77 Underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

retendokid

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just curious if anyone has any experience with the A77 and BS Kinetics housing system yet. I had originally bought the Sony for land/travel photography but after I picked up the A77, and experienced the deep feature set, still and video specs and performance, its got me wondering about its capabilities for UW photography/videography. One can only learn so much from reading info on a website, and while I plan to call the company to ask some questions, I was curious if any one else had taken the plunge yet. (sorry bad pun) The lightweight carbon fiber housing, if it provides access to all the controls, and stays dry, has definite appeal in reducing bulk and mass, both for airplanes and UW.

thanks

Sony Alpha 77 Lut Underwater Housing by BS Kinetics

I use the A65 in Ikelite, I see no reason the combination should not work well as it's a combination of user and camera that really make the picture.

A77 was my first choice, but there is no Ike housing and I am addicted to TTL so went for the A65 instead.

Here is a link to some examples;

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/sony-snappers/424971-slt-a65-bigger-than-nex.html#post6392646

Thanks for your reply Jeff- and some nice critter shots BTW....looks like Indopacific (Indonesia/Philippines?)

I've shot a Canon G9/Ikelite/Ikelite 51 for a couple of years, then Nikon D90/Nauticam/InonS2000, and currently a D7000/Nauticam/Inonz240s rig. While I love the shots I get from that setup, I'm always looking for the better mousetrap. The Sony SLT technology (having shot both Canon and Nikon SLRs) is definitely offering some very appealing new features. Just hoping to find someone else using the BS Kinetics rig. I agree that photo quality is USER + Equipment, but I wanted to make sure the full feature set would be available and that the build quality is acceptable before pulling the trigger. Other than the housing, the rest of my kit should be transferrable.

BTW, anyone interested in a Nikon D90/Nauticam NA-D90 :eyebrow:

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1344173173.157623.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk HD1344173173.157623.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC_6236 (1).jpg
    DSC_6236 (1).jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 98
  • DSC_6140 (1).jpg
    DSC_6140 (1).jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 80
  • Spine-cheek anemonefish.jpg