Anyone see this? Pretty awesome suits!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Waste of money

The yearly average number of deaths from 2001-10 from shark attacks are 4.3 per year. (Source). The chance of a shark attack while scuba diving is almost nil.
You stand a much better chance of dying from food poisoning or choking by eating dinner at a 5 star restaurant

I somewhat agree, I know how rare shark attacks on divers are. 4.3 a year are likely only the reported to the media attacks - not bites. Im am in the water every day in STT and so far this month I had a small tiger shark get curious and a lemon in St. John who was actually displaying some aggression. My spearo buddies had a 10ft hammerhead roll up just last week. Bummed I didnt get to see it lol Ive always wanted to see a great hammerhead. Maybe not worth the money of you're diving a couple times a year but for me - I work in the water and also spearfish... its not really a "waste" of money. I would think CA and HI divers might be interested.... maybe more so for spearfishing I guess.

Sharks don't need to see you to know exactly where you are. They have 6 other senses they can use to find you if that is their goal. They can sense electrical pulses and perceive both vibrations and pressure changes in the water so unless you can stop your heart and brain from functioning and hold completely still in the water, these suits are most definitely a waste of money.

This is NOT a new idea and was tried 20 or so years ago. A suit was styled to look like a sea snake tail with black and white alternating stripes. A diver in a normal wetsuit and a guy in the " Sea Snake Anti Shark" suit got in the water together. Sharks didn't care about either of them. You are correct about the deaths versus bites. There were more than 4 bites in Florida this year alone, but all were suffers and this suit would not have mattered.

Why not just buy the electronic Shark Guard. I know guys that dive with it spearfishing and swear by it. It is more than $400.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom