Anyone recognize these valves?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kaneda13

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I have the same valve on my 2 used Catalina tanks, and I'm looking at replacing with handles with the Vindicator Safety Handle, but I can't find any markings on the valves except for the 06-92 on the back. Since both of the tanks are "born on" the mid 90's, I'm guessing this is just the valve "born on" date". If you do recognize them, and opinions on the quality of them? I plan on diving these tanks, and while I don't need top of the line, I don't want to dive on something that's known to have issues. I plan on getting the valves services when I get the tanks Hydro'ed, so I know the o-rings are shot.

IMG_1303.jpeg
IMG_1304.jpeg

IMG_1305.jpeg
IMG_1306.jpeg

Not sure of the brand (i guess Catalina was buying generic before they started using Thermo valves) but they are fine assuming they don't leak. Valves either work or don't work. It's not worth investing money in an overhaul unless they are leaking. Soak them in an ultrasonic, change the o-rings, maybe put some rubber Sherwood style knobs if you have some or can find them cheap.

The vindicator knobs will occasionally get cross threaded and they can be a pain to get working again. Checking a valve for open/closed is no big deal and you should verify gas flow by other means anyway. With vindicators you still have to remember to visually check the knob.

I prefer not to create a potential problem (cross threading) in pursuit of another potential problem (not checking my gas flow).

Not sure of the brand but they are fine assuming they don't leak. Valves either work or don't work. I's probably not worth investing money in an overhaul unless they are leaking. Soak them in an ultrasonic, change the o-rings, maybe put some rubber Sherwood style knobs if you have some or can find them cheap.

The vindicator knobs will occasionally get cross threaded and they can be a pain to get working again. Checking a valve for open/closed is no big deal and you should verify gas flow by other means anyway. With vindicators you still have to remember to visually check the knob.

I prefer not to create a potential problem (cross threading) in pursuit of another potential problem (not checking my gas flow).
they aren't leaking at this point (these tanks are used, and have had air in them for over 4 years according to the previous owner. I know there is still a few hundred PSI in each tank, per my SPG. The handle is actually my biggest dislike of these valves. I'm 6'4", so these small handles aren't what I like on my tanks. I have another tank that I replaced the handle with a Vindicator (that valve was a blue steel one). I still need to get these Hydro'ed so, the valves will have to come off for that, and I'll at least have all the o-rings replaced at that time.

honestly with what you're going to pay to rebuild the valve you are honestly better off buying new ones. You're going to spend at least $25 for a new parts kit and OPV assembly, vs this being brand new for $33

honestly with what you're going to pay to rebuild the valve you are honestly better off buying new ones. You're going to spend at least $25 for a new parts kit and OPV assembly, vs this being brand new for $33
THANK YOU for the link. I was on the fence about keeping these too, since they are only Yoke, and I like the idea of being able to upgrade to DIN in a year or so if I go deeper into tech, without having to buy new. I may just go ahead and order 2 of those, and just have them put the new valves on when I get them Hydro'ed.

THANK YOU for the link. I was on the fence about keeping these too, since they are only Yoke, and I like the idea of being able to upgrade to DIN in a year or so if I go deeper into tech, without having to buy new. I may just go ahead and order 2 of those, and just have them put the new valves on when I get them Hydro'ed.
with most of the single tank valves I tend to just sell them for $10-$20 when hydro comes around and I put a brand new valve on because while servicing valves isn't time consuming, when you're going to pay $25 in parts for the thing it doesn't make much sense to rebuild when places like DGX puts them on clearance like that.

FWIW the vindicator handles aren't that useful, and I've had them get jammed and messed up.

DIN/yoke convertible "pro" valves are nice though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom