Anyone know anything about cannons?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hammerhead

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
This is not a Canon V. Nikon debate!

Seriously now, I went on a dive last Thursday to locate 3 cannons that a friend of mine first discovered off one of Hong Kong's outlying islands about 20 years ago, and managed to find two of them. As for the third, we ran out of time as a result of having only 5 litre (yes, 5 litre) tanks, and battling a hefty surge, but have every reason to expect that it's still there, somewhere.

The ones we found were 1.5m long, around 40cm at the base, and 30cm at the pointy end (the one with the hole in it). They look to be maybe 6 to 8 pounders, and - if the guy who first found them is right - the one we didn't find is shorter and fatter. Sort of like Chip, I guess:D.

Accordingly, I think there's a fair chance they may have been bow chasers, as normally, you'd have two long-bore guns mounted at the front, whereas the others would be the "Chipster" guns - short, fat, and only useful at short range:lotsalove:.

We're going back with my camera in the next few days, but I'd be interested to hear whether anyone has ever tried to salvage / identify something similar...

BTW, this post is actually genuine.

We pulled some cannons (circa 1776) up about thirty years ago. We had proper conservation set up in advance. If you do not they will turn to crap rather quickly.

Yeah, we're already researching the fresh water bath with electric current idea. It seems to be the only safe way we've heard of.

Guessing only, but given the smooth, tapered look of the ones that we found, these may date from the Opium Wars, so 1839 - 1845 if memory serves me right (too lazy to Google it) :)

Just a thought Larry but will there be a problem with who might own these on recovery?

Not planning on telling anyone.

*d'oh*

We were planning on trying to find out whether they were worth lifting, and then donating them to a local museum. Failing that, they'd make pretty nifty bar stools in my local pub.

I wouldn't mind refurbishing those cannons to working order and slap it on the front deck of our diving club's junk boat. Would love to fire a cannon ball at those rich local twits with luxury yachts who don't respect a diver down flag...

If you do not have a hydrogen furnace (amongst other things) you will only have a pile or rust after a few years.

Back
Top Bottom