Anyone kayak diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NHscuba

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm finally feeling competent diving off the kayak, but I only really have one buddy who has started to yak dive with me...if anyone else dives off their kayak, let me know if you'd like to go out together. I'm in NH but anywhere from RI to Portland could work for me...
BTW - I dive off a Perception Search 15.0. I have an Eagle Cuda 350 sonar/GPS that works great and is a solid reassurance that I know how much water I am dropping into.

Hi NHscuba,

I've started kayak diving this year myself. If your interested I dive most Sundays around Capeann with or without the kayak.
Electronics hmmm...... I could use a buddy like you :crafty:

I'm finally feeling competent diving off the kayak, but I only really have one buddy who has started to yak dive with me...if anyone else dives off their kayak, let me know if you'd like to go out together. I'm in NH but anywhere from RI to Portland could work for me...
BTW - I dive off a Perception Search 15.0. I have an Eagle Cuda 350 sonar/GPS that works great and is a solid reassurance that I know how much water I am dropping into.

I started diving off my kayak last year on Cape Ann. I have a dive buddy that also dives with me. I dive off a Cobra Fish "n" Dive I just installed a GPS Chart plotter, Now I have got to take the time to learn how to work it. The depth part, I can read the depth but don't know how to do the contour of the bottom. GPS I haven't got a clue. I work second shift so I dive quite often during the week and every weekend. During the week it usually early 7am or so. Weekends anytime.

Kayak Divers are hard to find around here. Glad to know.

I also kayak dive, mostly south shore mass. If anyone wants to hit the water let me know.

Best

Greg

I am not local but was planning on coming up there next week and doing some diving in the Cape Ann area. Has anyone kayak dove on the Charles S Haight wreck about 1/3 of a mile NNE of the Straitsmouth Lighthouse?

I could yak dive Cape Ann Monday or Tuesday morning (7/30 & 7/31) if anyone else wants to. I would love to do some just off-shore wrecks! All I know of the
Charles S Haight is off the Cape Ann Divers site (
Welcome to Cape Ann Divers! cape ann divers, cape ann diving, boston diving, scuba boston, massachusetts diving, scuba massachusetts, new england scuba diving, scuba new england, north eastern usa scuba diving, scuba resorts usa, boston dive boat div)
:
[h=5]Wreck of the Charles Haight
Boat Dive: Liberty ship sunk 1946, depth about 45'. Great dive, lots of sea life on it. Bow portion intact laying on side. Very pretty dive. Off Rockport.
[/h]
I've also been eyeing doing the Poling with the kayak - it is only 1/2 mile from the breakwater. I've been there a bunch with Cape Ann Divers but I think it would be a coup to dive it for free :D

I have seen the Haight on a few different sites at depths from 27' to 45'. Do you know the real depth? Is it 27' at the highest point resting on the bottom at 45'?

I've also been eyeing doing the Poling with the kayak - it is only 1/2 mile from the breakwater. I've been there a bunch with Cape Ann Divers but I think it would be a coup to dive it for free :D

Chester Poling by kayak sounds fun, I would be up for that. Weekdays aren't an option for me though.

As far as I know, the only way to get anywhere near the breakwater to paddle out to the Poling is by trespassing the Mass Audubon property leading to it. I would be interested to find out how one can get permission to get there.

As far as I know, the only way to get anywhere near the breakwater to paddle out to the Poling is by trespassing the Mass Audubon property leading to it. I would be interested to find out how one can get permission to get there.

@oceancurrent: I'm not super familiar with Eastern Point and you're right - I just went and read about the 51 acres of Audubon property at the base of the breakwater. It doesn't seem like they make it very kayak-launching friendly. But I was more thinking of putting in at Lighthouse Cove (?), Brace Cove or Niles Beach - it still is only a max. 2 mile paddle to the Poling (and that is from all the way back at Niles Beach). Does that seem do-able to someone, such as yourself, who is more familiar with the area?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom