Anyone in Cabo Lately?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you have a chance, Cabo Pulmo is a 2 hour drive. Some of the resorts offer a bus, or you can rent a car. It is well worth the trip.

I just got back on 1/15/08. I dove with Traun. He has a web-site caboticket.com

His e-mail address is: info@caboticket.com

Two dives in the morning were $75. It is a smaller boat. You do a backward roll in and to get out you take off your gear, the boat captain gets it and you climb up a ladder. I stayed at the RIU and was picked up on the beach. Dive sites are about 5-7 mins by boat. It is about $10 taxi ride one way. So the $75 was a little more than other shops, but when you added the taxi it was better and easier. There were four divers total. Three with him and one person with another dive master. He is a contractor for Tio Sports, dive instructor and has lots of experience. He has been in Cabo about 2 1/2 years, was in Cozumel prior for 2 years, and then the Great Barrier Reef on a live a board. The first day we dove Pelician Rock and the South Wall. He has a friend Derrick (damsel fish) that does a trick for you. It was really neat. Water temp was 65 degrees and a thermocline about about 50feet or so. I wore a 7 mm and a hood. I was comfortable. The other two divers wore 5 mm and were cold at times. Bottom time was about 35-40 mins. Depth was down to 115 feet. Visiblity was about 20-30 feet. Lots of marine life.

The second day it was just him and I. No one else had booked. We went to Land's End and another wall. Same vis and temp. Was able to watch the seals swim around us (very cool) and saw one junior manta ray. We could also hear the whales.

Traun will also give you tips about what to do and where to go in Cabo. I was hoping to go to Gordo Banks and Cabo Pulmo but was told due to poor conditions this was not possible and when I looked I could not find any dive shop willing to go there. The currents are stronger during this season, vis fair, and winds high.

Hope you get this in time. I stayed at the RIU. If you want any other information just let me know. Have fun.

Hey there

I am planning on heading down to Cabo in April 19-26. And we will be staying at the RIU Santa Fe..seems like a nice place. How was the food etc...it is not a true dive trip..more of a vacation since I am with a non diver( gave her the choice of places to go since it is her 40th..:) ). So the diving will be limited to one or two days max.

Any adivce on the area

thanks
Stephen

I just got back on 1/15/08. I dove with Traun. He has a web-site caboticket.com

His e-mail address is: info@caboticket.com

TTraun will also give you tips about what to do and where to go in Cabo. I was hoping to go to Gordo Banks and Cabo Pulmo but was told due to poor conditions this was not possible and when I looked I could not find any dive shop willing to go there. The currents are stronger during this season, vis fair, and winds high.

Hope you get this in time. I stayed at the RIU. If you want any other information just let me know. Have fun.

The RIU Palace is where we stayed. It is right next to the RIU Santa Fe. They are similar properties. The rooms are set up the same w/a queen or king bed, pull out sofa, tv, hair dryer, refrig socked w/drinks, 4 1/5 of alcohol hanging above it, key safe. We have also stayed at the RIU Cancun and the RIU Palace Cancun. We enjoyed both of them also. The pools are large, the water was heated, nice view of the Sea, and the Palace had 2 swim up bars plus two kids pools. We took our two younger ones (20 months old and 5 years old). There was a total of 11 in our group. No compliants at all. One couple decided to ask for the 4th or 5th floor for a better view and they were able to make that happen without any problems. Check in and check out was fine. Drinks served as you arrive. The bus ride from the airport to the resort is about 30-45 mins. There was water and beer free in the bus for us. (We booked through Apple Vacations). The buffet was the normal w/lots of fresh fruits, bread, some salad mixings and such. Every buffet has pizza, hamburger, hot dogs, and chips w/chess or salsa. My sister is very picky and was able to find something at each meal. There was a soft serve ice cream cone machine. There were 5 speciality restruants and we went to the Mexican. The shrimp there was excellent. We also went to the steakhouse, which was also good. One couple went to the French and said it was ok. The buffet at night had different themes and food was hot, fresh, and good. Service was excellent. The staff was friendly and helpful. I am not a wine drinker, but from the people I was with they indicated it was not a good selection. It was very nice it was an all inclusive and we did not have to carry $ or worry about when or where we would eat. There was always something open.

It is a very good dive place. It just happens to have the best vis, temp, and even more marine life Sept-November. But there is also enough for non-divers to do. There are horses on the beach and various activities you can participate in.

We did rent wave runners and went out to Lands End w/some of the non-drivers. We had them for 40 mins for $45. It allowed us to go all along the shore, by Lands End, and the marina. Downtown is ok. The sidewalks are uneven. There are the tourist stores that you can bagin with. The few big hot spots: The Whale Watching Bar (is in one of the oldest hotels, it was $12 taxi ride but well worth it, they have happy hour 3-6 pm 2 for 1 drinks. Cabo Wabo, The Zoo, Gilling Marlin, and El Squid Row were fun, younger crowd. There is a popular steak and seafood place (pretty expensive) but very good. They are right at the marina and also have an oyster bar. Lorenzillo's Restaurant. We ate there in Cancun and it was great. Two couples went to the one in Cabo and loved it all the way around.

If you need any other information let me know. Have fun and I hope I go back in the Fall some year.

Water temps will be in the mid 60s vis 35 to 45 feet. But as always lots of marine life. last Dive there we saw a school of Mantas maby 50 or 60. Also the Sea Lions Colony is very active now.There were three White Tip reef Sharks at Neptunes Finger and some large grouper and a cool spotted eel.
Bring your Camara thers lots of Mirco life and more species of tropical fish than any where I have Dove.
We dove with Jim a instructor from Canada who gave us pointers on air comsumption and buoyancy control that really helped make our Dives longer and more enjoyable.
I dive with Baja Dive time after time because of the great crew and they have a 40 foot boat, lots of room and small groups 4 to 5 Divers per Dive master.contact them at Baja Dive

Thanks folks...water temps....do not bother me..I am Canadian..:wink:...60-70 is warm for me...but will bring my 7mm...the wave runners sound like a plan...

The option for the hotel is RIU Palace and Santa Fe..just have to confirm final booking in March.

and camera is already packed in the dive gear.

Thanks for the info.

Stephen

Thanks everyone for the tips and help, got back yesterday and had a great trip. Water temp was about 63, and vis was 35+. I dove with MANTA and they were excellent. It was just my family on the boat. Dad and me were doing the diving and the crew took the ladies on a snorkel tour. It was a very professional operation!

Hey there

I am planning on heading down to Cabo in April 19-26. And we will be staying at the RIU Santa Fe..seems like a nice place. How was the food etc...it is not a true dive trip..more of a vacation since I am with a non diver( gave her the choice of places to go since it is her 40th..:) ). So the diving will be limited to one or two days max.

Any adivce on the area

thanks
Stephen

Hi Stephen,
My girlfriend and I will be in Cabo from April 16 - 22. As the plan looks right now we will be driving out to Cabo Pulmo to do the reef dive on the 20th. Let me know if you would like to dive with us or need a ride out that way. We have a car so we can pick you up at the RIU.

Regards,

Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom