Anyone heard of Chef John's BBQ on Seven Mile Beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divin'dog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I just got back from Grand Cayman... Stayed at Sunset House and ate most of my meals at My Bar, which is a good place for food, but I discovered a small BBQ stand on Seven Mile Beach that I wished I had known at the beginning of my trip. Has anyone ever heard of Chef John's BBQ? It is at the Public Beach area, just a short 1/8 mi walk from Calico Jacks. We ended up checking out the stand because we needed to call a taxi and no one in our group had a working phone.

This is really a road side stand that sits on the Public Beach on SMB and apparently, they have been there for yrs. They are only there on Fri and Sat nights. After walking part of SMB at night, coming from the Sunshine Grille, we stumbled upon this BBQ stand next to the parking lot opposite the showers. We were full from the dinner we just ate but they gave us samples of the ribs they were grilling and it was absolutely delicious! It's the kind of fall off the bone, melt in your mouth ribs. They also had chicken. I don't know what the cost of a meal is, but it has to be cheaper than any restaurant I visited during my stay on GC. Everyone in my group wanted to come back the next night, but they are not there on Sundays.

Has anyone ever tried this place or even heard of it? I know if I go back anytime soon to GC, I'll be heading over to the BBQ with a 6-pack. My mouth is watering just thinking about it. There are picnic tables nearby as well as restrooms and all seemed pretty well kept.

Last edited:
Chef John's is a long standing operation. As you noted, he sets up by Public Beach on the weekends and one day a week elsewhere near Spotts. He is established enough that he advertises on local radio. Cost is about CI$14 for a meat with all the sides.

There are several such roadside bbq places in Cayman. They are very popular with loca residents as the masses of cars on the roadside will attest.

There are several such roadside bbq places in Cayman. They are very popular with loca residents as the masses of cars on the roadside will attest.

Lotta jerks out there too!....ha,ah,ha,ha...

Back
Top Bottom