Anyone have experience with Eustachian tube balloon dilation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hello,

Diving and Hyperbaric Medicine Journal published a series of 20 divers who underwent this procedure because of ear equalizing problems. 15 improved with 10 completely cured of problems. The paper is available on pubmed central and can be downloaded for free here. As far as I am aware this is the only series specifically in divers who had problems equalizing. The fact that most or all of them were freedivers where pressure increase is very rapid makes the result quite impressive.

Simon M

Hello,

Diving and Hyperbaric Medicine Journal published a series of 20 divers who underwent this procedure because of ear equalizing problems. 15 improved with 10 completely cured of problems. The paper is available on pubmed central and can be downloaded for free here. As far as I am aware this is the only series specifically in divers who had problems equalizing. The fact that most or all of them were freedivers where pressure increase is very rapid makes the result quite impressive.

Simon M
Thanks a lot for the link. :)

A very interesting paper. I will search pubmed for similar ones.

You don't happen to know one that reseached dilation as a treatment for mastoiditis?

I did a combo operation, for my ear and my nose. The nose part was to relieve congestion and I can say it worked, I breathe better and sleep better, the ear part was no big deal just felt like a tube went up my nose and then they inflated it. In general, I can say the ENT stretched out the holes in the bridge of my nose and stretched out both my ear tubes. I recommend all to do the same, it can only make things better not worse. The operation was not a big deal at all.

Anyone else?
Thanks a lot for the link. :)

A very interesting paper. I will search pubmed for similar ones.

You don't happen to know one that reseached dilation as a treatment for mastoiditis?
Yes thank you for the link; it is great to get some more info on the results of the procedure. It is also encouraging to learn that it might not be necessary to wait 6 weeks before returning to scuba dive, as was mentioned on some of comments on this topic. It appears the divers in the study were cleared to return to diving after re-examined at 7-10 day post op visit . Today I had a unilateral balloon eustachian tube dilation and was told by my non diver ENT that I could return to diving immediately. I thought that seemed a bit too liberal, but I am planning to dive in 4 weeks. I also plan to learn equalization techniques which are less aggressive than the valsalva manuever.

I had balloon dilation of my right ET last December and noticed immediate improvement when flying. It wasn't until this past Septemeber that I could try it out scuba diving. Fantastic! For the first time since I began diving in 1971 I was able to almost spontaneously equalize the pressure in my right middle ear every dive and had no difficulties throughout my dives. According to the ENT's with whom I have been in contact, the success rate is about 75%. It is now available in the USA and Medicare paid for treatment of my ET Dysfunction.

Attachments

• image_50736641- David's 1,200th dive.JPG
    image_50736641- David's 1,200th dive.JPG
    67.1 KB · Views: 23
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom