Anyone happy with their camera that has no aperture/shutle/manual mode?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DazedAndConfuzed

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

I have been taking pictures with my old Oly C5050 and have added a WA wet lens and Sea&Sea YS-01 strobe. The issue is that the video mode is 240p, looks like VHS, good for small window on a computer, but blurry on full screen or on large screen TV. Plus, I don't capture any details. I don't shoot any serious videos on it anyway, mostly 20-60 segments of something interesting.

I have picked the ZS3 for my sister as a camera and it gets something like 10 pictures a year, so I was thinking of repurposing it as a possible replacement for the C5050 (which I also re-purposed from another sister, since I told them this was the camera to get and it was way to complicated for them to use....even the ZS3 was too complicated..all the shots were at wide angle since she didn't know how to use the zoom...and didn't know how to take videos despite it having a button with a movie camera symbol on it).

Even though the ZS3 shoots in pseudo HD (720p), the issue I see is that the ZS3 has no Aperture, Shuttle priority or manual mode, which I use when shooting to control background lighting, depth of field or not have swimming fish get blurry.

I am wondering if anyone using this camera or other P&S w/o shutter, aperture or manual mode get frustrated by the inability to do those things? I know I can switch to action mode to reduce blur or reduce bg light with strobe, but am not sure if scenery, flower modes do anything relevant.

Is that too much to give up just for HD video?

i had the same problem with a canon P&S, then i put the CHDK hack to be able to have more control, with my camera model the chdk just allowed me to change the shutter speed, which it helped... thats when i decided to buy a P&S with manual controls...

I like my oly stylus 8010 it has underwater mode that's worked great for me so far.

Did you ever shoot with camera with some sort of shutter/aperture/manual control? I am asking because that is where I am coming from and was wondering if it worth giving up for much better video.

Back
Top Bottom