Anyone gone from Perdix to Garmin Descent Mk2i?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

RickNC

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I couldn't be more happy with my Perdix Ai but at the end of the day the Perdix is a dive computer and nothing else. I've been wanting a fitness watch for some time but one that is also a dive computer is even better. I think the smaller screen would be a knock against the Garmin compared to the Perdix but isn't a deal breaker unless it is difficult to read in low-vis where I do most of my diving. I've considered the new Apple Ultra but imo isn't really a dive computer and the lack of ai is definitely a deal breaker.

I'm not a tec diver so the Perdix is already beyond my current limits but I believe the Garmin can handle most types of diving. So, has anyone made this switch for the same reasons?

Thanks!

I dive both a Perdix AI and a Garmin Mk2 simultaneously for tech diving. I like both for different reasons. The Garmin can certainly handle rec diving. As for using it as a general fitness watch, it does a great job at that, too. Just make sure you have the right strap on the watch before traveling with it (I had been using mine for running and left the drysuit strap at home accidentally a while back, had to rig it with bungee).

Reactions: L13
I couldn't be more happy with my Perdix Ai but at the end of the day the Perdix is a dive computer and nothing else. I've been wanting a fitness watch for some time but one that is also a dive computer is even better. I think the smaller screen would be a knock against the Garmin compared to the Perdix but isn't a deal breaker unless it is difficult to read in low-vis where I do most of my diving. I've considered the new Apple Ultra but imo isn't really a dive computer and the lack of ai is definitely a deal breaker.

I'm not a tec diver so the Perdix is already beyond my current limits but I believe the Garmin can handle most types of diving. So, has anyone made this switch for the same reasons?
Not exactly, but I do dive with both a Perdix AI and a Garmin MK2s. The Garmin doesn't have AI, but as it's my backup, I figured that would be OK. The MK2, MK2i were both larger than what I would want to use as a daily wear watch. The MK2s and G1 were more the right size, with the MK2s being a bit fancier.

Apart from AI, the only real difference from a capability standpoint between the Garmin and Perdix is the greater depth rating on the Perdix. Not really a problem for me, though.

Both support Single Gas, multi-gas, CCR, etc. The Garmin has apnea modes that the Perdix does not. The Perdix definitely has a larger screen, but the Garmin is easily readable. The backlight will automatically turn on at a certain depth, or you can force it to stay on for the duration of the dive. Dive screens are easy to navigate around, and do support some level of customization. The Garmin also supports SurfGF, which was great to see.

The Garmin has plenty of features that the Perdix does not. GPS entry and exit locations are very nice. The Garmin dive log is pretty good as well, but I primarily use Subsurface. Both are supported in Subsurface, but the Garmin can't download to Subsurface via Bluetooth.

The one thing about the MK2i that I don't care for (aside from size) is the AI transmitter. I'm not a fan of the proprietary transmitters, the PPS transmitter works quite well for me. I really don't like the two different transmission protocols the Garmin uses. Makes it impossible to verify that you'll have pressure data during the dive. Battery life on the T1 also seems much less than the PPS transmitters.

I have been diving with a Teric for a while and am now trying the Descent Mk2i. My biggest complaint is that the customisation options on the Garmin dive screens are very limited in some ways compared to Teric. The main dive screen is not very customisable and offers 3 lines with 4 fields (you can only tune the one files to change between the temp and the air pressure) . You can create a custom screen with lots of fields which you then scroll to but for some bizarre reason that data screen cannot have any GTR (gas time remaining) or pressure on that screen. On my Teric I can have on one screen, the temp. GTR, T1, dive time, NDL and it doesn’t look too crowded. On Garmin that’s not possible.
the walk activity screens are beautifully customisable but not diving. Looking at the Garmin forums there are a lot of customers moaning about that issues but 2 years later they still haven’t come to the party.

On the garmin can u get gtr on the home screen? Ot just pressure?

I dive a Perdix AI and an older Descent Mk1 as backup. It is a great combination, but I would never give up my Perdix. I think the proprietary Garmin AI transmitter is a real drawback. But the Garmin gets a lot of use when I'm not diving.

Keep an eye out for a used Mk1. It is a capable dive computer/ sports watch. I found a new one on this site for $500. that I bought for my son.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom