Anyone going to Jamaica (Ochos Rios) 3/28/09 - 4/4/09

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulvay

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Wondering if anyone is going out to Jamaica? I'm going there on vacation with my wife. Staying at Sandals Ochos Rios, but will likely go to Duns river for a day to dive.

Any suggested dive sites??

Have you dove in Jamaica before? While I was planning my cruise I was told by a friend that the diving in Jamaica wasn't that great. Not going to Jamaica this time around, but would like to know if there are some dive sites worth looking into next time.

Just got back.

Diving in Ocho Rios was ok. Great vis but the reefs are not healthy (didn't see a single shark) looks like they are being over-fished. Last year I dove on the Negril side and it was much better, lots of sea life.

Diving in Ocho Rios was ok. Great vis but the reefs are not healthy (didn't see a single shark) looks like they are being over-fished.

Just found your post in a search.

Care to give a quick review of the dive op you went with? I'm going to end up in Ochos Rios cruising with the family and I want to know who to dive with if I decide to dive.

Anyone else have dive op recommendations in Ochos Rios?

I'm also interested in how the diving is on Jamaica as well. I will be there for three weeks in january and will go diving once or twice during the time. Where are the best dive sites located? I assume Negril is good but what else?

Just got back.

Diving in Ocho Rios was ok. Great vis but the reefs are not healthy (didn't see a single shark) looks like they are being over-fished. Last year I dove on the Negril side and it was much better, lots of sea life.

We've only dived on the Negril side, twice; once in 2003 and then again in 2008. The quality of the reefs, including the fish populations improved dramatically between the two dive trips. Apparently there have been some restrictions placed on the fishing in the Negril area, and it has really helped. We plan to be back there in 2013 (tenth wedding anniversary) and can't wait to see how much better they can be then.

I would agree, Negril was nice. The area has a protected reserve.

As far as Ocho Rios goes...
We stayed with Sandals Ocho Rios. The resort was OK, but the food was disappointing. The on site DiveOp was great, even let me keep my gear in the dive office overnight, so I didn't have to lug it back every day. The diving it's self was...not the best, the area is over fished. We have even seen fishermen spearing little baby fish, that really hurts the populations. I've got some pics at: Picasa Web Albums - Paul - Ocho Rios, Ja...

Hey guys,
just came back from Royal Decameron in Runaway Bay, 20 km east of Ochos Rios.

Did two dives, one at 75 ft between coral canyons and the other was a shallow dive with coral swim troughs. The visibility overall was great but just as the other people commented the fish life was less than desirable. Saw 2 lion fish and all the usual suspects but nothing else worth mentioning. Although when I was snorkeling by the resort I saw a nice puffer fish, depth 4ft. LOL :wink:

There is a ship and plane wreck that you can dive as well as wall that starts at 65 ft and goes down, right by one of the wrecks. Due to the poor weather conditions I didn't get to dive those sites, but you can youtube them.

I heard another diver mention that sometimes turtles swim through by the wall, but I can't confirm that.

Hope this helps.

Dove in Ocho Rios in Sept- at a few sites including the Kathryn (yep it is spelled correctly) shipwreck. We saw a pod of dolphins, a nurse shark, a huge sting ray, besides the usual. We have found the diving to be better on the Negril side. I'd have to pull out my dive log to name the actual places we went. We always dive with the Couples resorts.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom