Anyone going to DEMA - Please Grill Suunto on Eon Firmware

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Landau

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
When can we expect the firmware updates promised at DEMA 2018?

I talked to someone at the booth (I think from Finland) that said the Core update is targeted for 2020 Q1, and the EON Steel update, including the added algorithm choice, for Q2. But no guarantees as they are both still in the works.

I talked to someone at the booth (I think from Finland) that said the Core update is targeted for 2020 Q1, and the EON Steel update, including the added algorithm choice, for Q2. But no guarantees as they are both still in the works.
Thanks.

Oh that's BS. They've been saying the same crap for 2 years now. I bugged them at DEMA in 2018 and they knew about our giant firmware feature thread here and even had someone from Suunto on board listening to us but nothing ever changed or happened. What a total joke. Glad I also have a shearwater AI.

I bought the EON Steel based on it's customization options but they've left us all here to rot.

From my perspective as a long time Eon Steel user, one of the first.

I do have two contacts deep into Suunto, however I must stress that I have no real access to any other information that wouldn't be communicated at a Show or by connected dealers.

Suunto do on occasion reach out to me for my opinion on certain subjects, only because I've been using the Steel for so long, and I use it in the Middle East which has its own peculiar environmental challenges.

It's my understanding that the upgrades to Eon were delayed while they focused on D5 ( which is a more accessible computer price wise.

The Bulhmann implementation, is really nothing more than a marketing exercise to give some technical separation between the Steel and the core. Apart from the case, battery life and depth rating, there's nothing to separate them technically nor encourage new buyers to purchase the flagship Steel, rather than the Core.

While from a purely inquisitive standpoint, I'd be interested to see how they implement Buhlmann, and what if any changes there are. However I also dive a Perdix AI and while it has a couple of nice data points, there is nothing on the Perdix I couldn't live without. Its also the most conservative computer (45/95 vs P-2) whether its on the first dive or consecutive dive (max 48 repetitive dives inc some with Deco)

I'm actually more "excited" about seeing Fused RGBM 2 and what if any differences that gives, however I can wait - its not urgent

If I had two items that I would really like changed (and I doubt either will happen) is the ability to turn off the computer manually on the surface, rather than waiting for the water sensor. and the ability to view 2 gas contents simultaneously.

I still rate the Eon above the Perdix

and the ability to view 2 gas contents simultaneously.
+1

With your other wishlist item, to turn manually on on the surface, what do you mean? Start the dive prior to when the sensor would? What is the advantage?

I had my Eon stay on once when I (duh) forgot I had it strapped to my BCD on a Safari boat ... and it drained the battery by a nights worth of hours. It never switched off. But it wasn't diving, just the display kept going...
I wonder ever since how and why it decided to stay on all night. And if there is a way to securely switch it off, so that the battery charge is conserved.

All could be remedied if Suunto did firmware updates on a regular basis. I like my Suunto Eon core but as another subscriber stated I also feel we’ve been left to rot. Shearwater updates their firmware regularly.

Just saying.

Glenn

All could be remedied if Suunto did firmware updates on a regular basis. I like my Suunto Eon core but as another subscriber stated I also feel we’ve been left to rot. Shearwater updates their firmware regularly.

Just saying.

Glenn
I would not necessarily consider frequency of firmware updates to indicate a positive experience. I don’t know what Shearwater has been updating, but firmware updates are often fixes for glitches, minor or major. Sometimes improvements or modifications of features, too, whether you want the operation of that feature changed or not. There is something to be said for stable software that is not under constant revision.

And frequency of updates doesn’t having any bearing on whether or not this update is ready. It isn’t ready yet, so it hasn’t been released.

It’s also for updates. Look at it kind of like your iphone. Yes glitches are present in any operating system. You can operate your iPhone or dive computer or a personal laptop/desktop with its current system. However would you like to still be using windows 6?

If you bought a high end laptop and did not receive operating system upgrades you would feel left out.

My point here.

Glenn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom