Anyone familiar with Sea and Sea cameras?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tienuts

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
The resident photo expert in my shop suggested I get a Sea and Sea camera. I was using a reefmaster 310, and wasn't too crazy about it.

After looking around, I found the DX-750G (5 MP), and the DX-8000G (8 MP).

Other than the megapixels, is it worth upgrading to the DX-8000?

The reason many people get recommended to Sea & Sea are that the company does an excellent job in getting them placed into dive shops, hence the shop personnel know them and not other suitable underwater cameras.

Sea & Seas are adequate cameras which can take good memory shots. It all depends on what you're wanting to do with your photography. If you're wanting to grow into more control, such as shooting manually, and have it be an important part of your diving experience, consider other options as well. If this is something you do to remember your dives and share them with others, the Sea & Seas can fit the bill quite nicely.

I got a S&S D8000G as an intro UW set-up because I couldn't decide on what else to get.

It's a good starting point to figure out what you want or don't want. It takes good "memory" shots, as noted above. Someday I will upgrade to a digital SLR.

I like the S&S DX8000G rig as a whole - it's got everything - wide angle, strobes, etc. Easy to use.

It eats batteries. I have to change my NiMH 2300 mA batteries after every dive or risk having the camera shut down in the middle of my second dive. It really should have three or four AA batteries instead of just two. But it's something you can deal with.

One of the guys on my recent Red Sea trip had a DX-750G and wasn't happy - no full manual control according to him. I have seen some good stuff from the 8000 however. Don't know if it shoots RAW , which would be a deciding factor , at least for me.

Although the S&S cameras will do a good job there are other options that offer more bang for the buck. I've rented the DX3000 and the DX5000 cameras and taken some very nice photos with both of them.

Take with a S&S DX5000 and an 18mm WA lens.

My biggest complaint with both cameras was that they ate batteries like candy. From what's been said above it doesn't appear to be any different with their 750 and 8000 cameras which is a shame. I opted for a Canon A620 with the WDC90 housing. Cost was $395 for both of them delivered. (The camera came through PC Connection and has full U.S. warranty.) The only thing I'm disappointed about is that Canon has dropped RAW from their consumer cameras. You need to go up to the pro-sumer grade to get that now. However it still does a great job for the money.

In testing a set of 2700 mAh NiMh batteries I took over 500 flash photos using various settings trying to wear them down as quickly as possible before I gave up. This is impostant to me because I really don't want to be opening the housing, and even more importantly, the camera, while on a dive boat. I like to prep my camera at home in a controlled (dry, air conditioned) environment where I can take my time to seal and test it properly. Then it stays that way until it's back home again.

I do like the S&S flash units like their YS25. Unfortunately for $425 + the mounting arm and hardware, it'll have to wait until next years' toy budget rolls around before I buy my own. Until then I'll just rent them.

Basically put, S&S cameras are ok, but I think you can get a lot more for your money with a little shopping around.

I use rechargeable batteries in my DX5000G, and make it through 2 tank dives with no problems at all.

see the post listed below for my comments on my dx5000g

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=158104

sharky - that's good to know...can you give us more details:
- dive times and if the camera was on all or most or part of the time
- number of shots
- number of shots with flash on full
- approx time camera's lcd was on
- any reviewing you did
- use of zoom...light, medium, heavy

Back
Top Bottom