Anyone else hate the word "newbie"?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mbalmr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Is it just me or does anyone else loath the word "newbie"? I don't know what it is about the word but it drives me up a wall!! I can't put my finger on why it irks me but I think it has to be one of the worst words to leave someone's lips. I find it derogatory and silly. I don't know, just needed to see if I should see professional help :D.

The word newbie and the variations of it newb and n00b is all quite neutral to me. What matters is the context where its used..

Everybody is a noob at some point. And some of us are perpetual noobs. Without noobs, any activity will stagnate and die.

I'm proud to be a noob.

Everybody is a noob at some point. And some of us are perpetual noobs. Without noobs, any activity will stagnate and die.

I'm proud to be a noob.

Noooooo !!!!!:D I am new to diving as well, I just hate the word. I am also proud to be new to this wonderful sport. I just hate the word in all contexts and situations, I hate the way it sounds especially coming out of a grown man's mouth, it just sounds too silly imho:dork2:

It's better than "FNG"

It's better than "FNG"
I had to google FNG...... but I would prefer that to newb!! I think I need help!:idk:

I had to google FNG...... but I would prefer that to newb!! I think I need help!:idk:
I think youre right :eyebrow:
Then again, we all have our quirks dont we?

Having been a noob several times (computer games, skydiving, scuba diving, hiking etc), I really don't mind. Like everyone said, it's all about the context. "F&*^ing noob!" is intolerable, but I'll raise my hand happily if someone asks who the noobs are. Fortunately most people are nice enough to say "new diver" or "new guy" instead.

No, you need some word to describe novices. Whatever word was used some people would still use it condescendingly.

I dislike when 'protecting' newbies is used to filter information though.

What's FNG?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom