Anyone else has this problem???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

divermike1989

Contributor
Reaction score
I was coming up from a shallow dive at Pillars Patch in the Keys (30ft). There was a fairly good current both at the surface and at depth. While hanging on the tag line waiting for the others to climb the ladder. As I was pulling myself towards the ladder, still breathing on my reg, the line got caught around the tank valve. It must have rubbed the valve because as I went to draw a breath I got nothing, I immediatly switched to snorkel and boarded the boat. I wasn't OOA because i repressurized the line and the gauge read about 900 PSI. Has this ever happened to anyone else, or how do you avoid it when there is a strong current???

I use an H valve on my single tank with 2 first and 2 second stages, both independant from each other. If there is a problem in one, like the valve getting shut, you just switch to the other. Cheap insurance. What would have happened if the valve shut at 100' instead of 30?

Another option is to make sure that you can open your valve yourself.

Anyone else has this problem???

No.

Wait, think about this... the tag line wrapped around the tank valve and managed to turn it enough times to shut it off at the surface?

"Rubbed the valve" Really?

C'mon.

Sounds like it wasn't turned on completely in the first place or you were break dancing or some information is missing here.

I just keep from tangling myself in tag lines and haven't ever had this issue.

Its as easy as it sounds, keep the running end of the line on the downcurrent side of you, pull yourself up it.

Ok...Ok OK OK OK....its PADI...BUT....Keep that hand over your head.

The tank must have been barely turned open for this to work. Fully open tank is the solution. H valve another nice idea as long as you fully open the valves.

Back
Top Bottom