Anyone else as dumb as me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

10X

Reaction score
I just completed a 10 day cruise to Tahiti, followed by 8 days in Hawaii. I had a total of 11 dives, 5 and 6 respectively. I took along my camera, etc. with the new Inon D2000 flash and Inon WAL, that I bought from Ryan about 2 months ago. I also started out shooting RAW for the first time. I even bought Photoshop CS so I could work with these photos when I got home. I practiced with the camera/flash, etc. diligently, sent photos to Ryan for analysis, implemented his recommendations, and started doing pretty well. All this seemed to go down the drain when I boarded the plane to leave.

1. After my first dive in Rangiroa, I downloaded the photos to my laptop. I expected to see files that were labeled .RAW but rather found something there labeled .ORF. Thnking I might have done something wrong and lost the photos, I stopped shooting in RAW. Now that I'm back, I find a post letting me know that .ORF is what it should be, so I blew it there.

2. Now shooting in SHQ, rather than RAW, my photos started turning out dark and I couldn't figure out why. However, I was so excited about the new flash unit that I didn't bother checking the photo results (afterall, they should be perfect, right?) to find this out until I shot about 20, mostly black, photos. Dumb!!!!!!!

3. I opened up the f-stop, from the setting Ryan proposed, and the photos improved. However, what I did not realize was the flash was not firing. I knew I wasn't seeing a flash but didn't think anything of it, since I didn't know exactly what I should see. I knew I could see it on land but wasn't sure how it should look in water.

4. Once I knew the flash wasn't firing, I opened the f-stop even more and slowed the shutter speed and took some reasonable "blue" photos. I hope I can revive the color since several of the photos were of my first Frogfish, a large one about a foot long.

5. The flash unit seemed to be fine, and since it fires optically, I checked the camera. The camera's internal flash was not firing. I must have changed a setting somewhere along the line, but I was not aware I could actually turn it off. I frogged around again and got it working.

6. Finally, everything seemd to be in working order and I reset Ryan's proposed settings. However, I shot three photos before I figured out I forgot to turn the flash on. Sheesh!!! Dumb or what?

All was not lost, since I actually had the camera working properly at different points during the 11 dives. I have a great photo or two of a large Napoleon Wrasse that appeared during a shark dive in Bora Bora. I also got a few good ones of some smaller fish that have eluded me in the past, a nudibranch and a flatworm.

In spite of all the practice, I seemed to be overwhelmed by the new set up once underwater. I'm going back to the drawing board and start over, especially as to why my internal flash wasn't firing. All-in-all, I'm greatly disappointed in my performance with the new equipment. I actually shot better photos just using the C5050 and PT-015 with internal flash only.

Has anyone else started out this way or am I the sole idiot onboard? If I'm the sole idiot, I might have some almost brand new equipment for sale, cheap!!!!

Denny

Been there, done that, a few times, did not get a teeshirt. I did get a teeshirt from Tahiti, though. It all comes down to experience, the more you do it the less lightly you are to screw up. Hey, at least you did not flood anything. A drag about missing shots in French Polynesia.

Don't even get me started on this fetish for external strobes.

Welcome to U/W photog hell, 10X.

Keep at it! We've all (well, those of us that tried) been through this sort of thing.

doole:
Welcome to U/W photog hell, 10X.

Keep at it! We've all (well, those of us that tried) been through this sort of thing.

How do you pick out the pioneers? They're the ones with the arrows in their backs...

I'll agree, there is a learning curve. Taking film photos for the last twenty years and I still have allot to learn.........now I'm thinking of switching to digital soon.
I guess I'd call it U/W photo hell - 202 :crafty:

Dive Safe,
Caymaniac

...the correct answer is, "Yes, you are the sole one. Here's $100." :wink:

All kidding aside, this helps me confirm my first suspicion about myself and that I should start out with a camera/housing and get through that abuse before worrying about how much a flash costs and how to use it, too.

Greetings undwrwater photographers. I have yet to get a housing for any of my toys (photography is my other expensive hobby!). However, I worked in a popular camera retail store for two years and one of my managers told us of the ultimate screw-up.

It all began when he sold a Nikonus V kit (strobes included) to Customer X who was going on a dive trip. Customer X was satisfied with his new set-up my manager helped put together, and was very excited about his upcoming trip and his delve into underwater photography.

However, we came to to find out said customer NEVER took a single lesson in underwater photography (or in common sense for that matter) as his first destination back from his trip was to the camera store.

Customer X brought the (still wet) Niconus V back wanting a full return for a defective camera. Being the smart man that he is, my manager began asking Customer X what the problem with the camera was. Customer X mentioned that he was able to use his first roll of film without incident, but the camera would not work from roll #2 on.

My manager then began examining the camera for any noticable external flaws, and when none were spotted, decided to open the camera and check the O ring. Upon opening said camera, a deluge of seawater rushed forth all over the counter. (Note this should indicate the O Ring seals were fine and the camera was not leaking when returned to the store).

Upon further questioning, it was revealed that Customer X was trying to change rolls of film while he was sill UNDERWATER!!! A simple course in common sense and underwater photography would have prevented Customer X from having so many frustrations with his camera, and would have led to a more enjoyable dive trip.

Oops!

10X:
I just completed a 10 day cruise to Tahiti, followed by 8 days in Hawaii. I had a total of 11 dives, 5 and 6 respectively. I took along my camera, etc. with the new Inon D2000 flash and Inon WAL, that I bought from Ryan about 2 months ago. I also started out shooting RAW for the first time. I even bought Photoshop CS so I could work with these photos when I got home. I practiced with the camera/flash, etc. diligently, sent photos to Ryan for analysis, implemented his recommendations, and started doing pretty well. All this seemed to go down the drain when I boarded the plane to leave.

1. After my first dive in Rangiroa, I downloaded the photos to my laptop. I expected to see files that were labeled .RAW but rather found something there labeled .ORF. Thnking I might have done something wrong and lost the photos, I stopped shooting in RAW. Now that I'm back, I find a post letting me know that .ORF is what it should be, so I blew it there.

2. Now shooting in SHQ, rather than RAW, my photos started turning out dark and I couldn't figure out why. However, I was so excited about the new flash unit that I didn't bother checking the photo results (afterall, they should be perfect, right?) to find this out until I shot about 20, mostly black, photos. Dumb!!!!!!!

3. I opened up the f-stop, from the setting Ryan proposed, and the photos improved. However, what I did not realize was the flash was not firing. I knew I wasn't seeing a flash but didn't think anything of it, since I didn't know exactly what I should see. I knew I could see it on land but wasn't sure how it should look in water.

4. Once I knew the flash wasn't firing, I opened the f-stop even more and slowed the shutter speed and took some reasonable "blue" photos. I hope I can revive the color since several of the photos were of my first Frogfish, a large one about a foot long.

5. The flash unit seemed to be fine, and since it fires optically, I checked the camera. The camera's internal flash was not firing. I must have changed a setting somewhere along the line, but I was not aware I could actually turn it off. I frogged around again and got it working.

6. Finally, everything seemd to be in working order and I reset Ryan's proposed settings. However, I shot three photos before I figured out I forgot to turn the flash on. Sheesh!!! Dumb or what?

All was not lost, since I actually had the camera working properly at different points during the 11 dives. I have a great photo or two of a large Napoleon Wrasse that appeared during a shark dive in Bora Bora. I also got a few good ones of some smaller fish that have eluded me in the past, a nudibranch and a flatworm.

In spite of all the practice, I seemed to be overwhelmed by the new set up once underwater. I'm going back to the drawing board and start over, especially as to why my internal flash wasn't firing. All-in-all, I'm greatly disappointed in my performance with the new equipment. I actually shot better photos just using the C5050 and PT-015 with internal flash only.

Has anyone else started out this way or am I the sole idiot onboard? If I'm the sole idiot, I might have some almost brand new equipment for sale, cheap!!!!

Denny

LOL.....I know it's not funny.......but that is EXACTLY the same way I felt with my camera also!! It gets better.....much better!! You've got to :babycrawl before you walk! :D

My wife and I were on a cruise there also, two years ago. She flooded her camera the second day, point being, your experience with the camera will get alot better.......but your trip could have been ALOT worse.

Sometimes ambient light shots can be partially brought back to life in photoshop. If you have some shots that look like they were in focus and you got reasonably decent exposure (sans strobe) but have a distinct blue or blue green color cast, then load a few of your better ones into your gallery and post a message. We have a few helpful citizens who may walk you through some adjustments.

Learning UW photography and a new digital camera and PSCS at the same time is a rather steep learning curve. Do not be hard on yourself, and I would try not to get frustrated. Yes, it takes time; but the rewards are there. One of these days you may be teaching us your secrets.

---Bob

:D Thanks for the smile today!

Yes, we've all been there...some of still revisit some of those, or similar, incidents :11: In Hawaii I had to ask Lisa about a million questions to get my 5050 to work on land...I NEVER use it on land and couldn't figure out the flash stuff etc (I'd simply forgotten about it as I don't change that setting underwater ever!) I should have reviewed!

This is a perfect story to illustrate the need for putting the whole system together and wandering around the house, garden & bathtub well before your trip! Practice with the rig itself - know thy buttons!

It sounds like you did great with trouble shooting and I'll be you know your camera way better now! Post some pics!!

For me, there is some chemical reaction that takes place when my brain is submerged under water. Things I know above the surface seem to dissolve in the water. It doesn't help that creatures do not pose and I have to keep track of my life gas. Currents, lighting changes, and clumsy divers all play in the mix as well. I find it hard to keep up with it all. I feel lucky just to get recognizable pics some days. The journey is really fun though :D.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom