Anyone diving Jamestown area Saturday 24-Aug?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bogrady

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Thanks everyone for the great response to my previous post (Texas Swamper (bogrady) wants to dive Eastern CT).

We're getting closer to the date now and I was just looking to see if anyone was planning anything for the Saturday 24-August in the Jamestown area. Our current plan is to dive Ft Wetherill, but its always more fun to meet the locals - so is there anything planned either there or nearby we could join up with?

Thanks everyone for the great response to my previous post (Texas Swamper (bogrady) wants to dive Eastern CT).

We're getting closer to the date now and I was just looking to see if anyone was planning anything for the Saturday 24-August in the Jamestown area. Our current plan is to dive Ft Wetherill, but its always more fun to meet the locals - so is there anything planned either there or nearby we could join up with?

I can't dive I'm in dry dock, injury. FW has not been a great bet for vis the last few years. IMO you should try Newport. Kings Beach, Fort Adams west side. Green bridge. If you insist on Jamestown you can try Beavertail but you need to get a local to dive that site. It has killed a fair number of fishermen and is very advanced diving and I don't mean AOW! Check out post #17 http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/basic-scuba-discussions/461489-dives-stretch-your-limits-3.html It is beautiful diving with a lot of fish large and small; the water is generally clearer than other sites being that it is at the bottom of the bay and the fast currents clean things out pretty fast. Please don't take this warning lightly it is a very unforgiving site. If you have any questions at all after checking it out in person get them answered. Jamestown also has Fort Getty on the same road as Beavertail. I think you need to pay for parking, the vis is probably not much better than FW but with less divers in the water you might get lucky and be the 1st to stir up the slit. :) Safe Diving enjoy the ocean state.

The New England Dive Shop in Wallingford CT is diving FW on Sun the 26th with a picnic and cookout. Details on their website.

I'm hoping to make the Sunday, Aug 25th dive myself at FW. I had a good experience there the end of July.

We had initially planned to do the dive shop picnic since we'd get to not only dive but also meet a whole bunch of what I'm sure are great local divers. Despite my Texas pseudo-twang, I'm a native New Yorker - west central Long Island to be exact so you guys are really my home buddies. Turns out that we have to dive Saturday though - its a short trip and we need to pack a lot into it. (Including a Sunday breakfast at Hedy's Whistle Stop in Deep River CT - something that is simply not to be missed)

I'm going to take AfterDark's advice and add Kings Beach, Fort Adams west side and Green bridge in Newport to the list. We'll give a call to the Giant Stride Dive Shop a few days before to get some final local advice on the site selection.

Thanks all, and if anyone decides at the last minute to get wet on Saturday - PM me.

Back
Top Bottom