Anyone Diving a Ratio Dive Computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

350xfire

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Hi, just wondering if anyone is using a Ratio and what the general opinion is of these computers?
Thanks

I saw these at DEMA one year but their US distribution never materialized. I still hope to dive a Ratio one day but as I get more entrenched with Shearwater, I become less motivated. The main feature that I want that I don't have with Shearwater is the GPS capability. But now the Garmin dive computers offer that.

Hi, just wondering if anyone is using a Ratio and what the general opinion is of these computers?
Thanks
Message BoltSnap on here, he dives a Ratio computer was very helpful with any questions I had about their computers. BoltSnap
I don't have one yet but from what I've read and my conversations with BoltSnap they are great computers.

I saw these at DEMA one year but their US distribution never materialized. I still hope to dive a Ratio one day but as I get more entrenched with Shearwater, I become less motivated. The main feature that I want that I don't have with Shearwater is the GPS capability. But now the Garmin dive computers offer that.
They are available up here in Canada. The dive shop about an hour and a half from me sells them. If they are are available up here, I'm sure you will be able to get them in the US.

Hello,

I have been using the Ratio iX3M GPS Tech+ since 2018 (or was it 2017? I don't remember). Let me know what information you need and I'll do my best to answer you. You can also send me a PM.

I'm basically looking for comparisons to Shearwater and some of the more available computers in the US. I know their transmitters give a low gas signal by flashing red light. How are the algorithms? Anyone run one against other computers, etc?
Thanks

I'm basically looking for comparisons to Shearwater and some of the more available computers in the US. I know their transmitters give a low gas signal by flashing red light. How are the algorithms? Anyone run one against other computers, etc?
Thanks

Shearwater: I haven't done comparisons wearing them both at the same time. My "comparisons" come from reading manuals, talking with others who use SW, tried SW few times (borrowed from friend) and hence my experience and comparison aren't scientific or exact. The comparison comes down to people's likes and, very significant, name recognition and very heavy peer pressure (in SW's favor here). The Ratio computer has a very easy menu to follow in the most part. The ONLY issue with the menu is the GPS menu that isn't intuitive at first but the rest is very easy to follow.

Among the features I like about my iX3M Tech + is the big screen that is very easy to read (I need prescription lens for reading fine print but I have no issues reading all of the information on the iX3M's screen without glasses at all). The intensity of the screen can be set to automatic or manual. I set my screen lighting to manual maximum and I have no problem at all reading the colorful screen in sunlight, Libya's very bright sunlight.

There are many other features that I like about the Tech + but I can't remember them all now and I won't go into them unless you ask me specific questions.

1. I wish that I can customize the placement of the information on the screen more that what is available now. HOWEVER, You can choose different screens with different data arrangements and they stay on during the dive (or change the screen).

2. I wish that the GPS feature is a little more intuitive. I generally can figure it out no problem but it can/should be made easier. My issue with it is that sometimes I get confused on the screens, is the screen about navigating to a saved way-point or is it a screen to save the current location in the computer.

The transmitters do emit different light colors to indicate transmitter battery level when you first turn it on and it will later emit different light colors to indicate different gas pressure levels. This helps to some extent in knowing approximately how much gas remaining you have in your tank without looking at the wrist unit and it also helps you monitor your buddy's gas pressure from afar without having to ask them. It is a "nice" feature to have especially knowing your buddy's gas pressure from a distance (if they are using a Ratio computer with transmitter).

Algorithms:
Ratio dive computers have been using an enhanced, highly researched by major Italian university, version of the Bühlmann ZHL-16B algorithm. They believe that the "B" version they are using is a superior version than the "C" version. I hear that they have added the "C" version to the computer in the newer iX3M computers (with the square buttons). Their computers have two processors and have VPM-B mode too so you can easily switch between the two.

Note: I have been using dive computers for my diving at all levels since 1987 and I am one of the very early adopters of air integrated dive computer, my first dive computer in 1987 was actually an AI dive computer (with hose). I have used many brands and models during these years and I can say confidently that the iX3M computer is the best by a wide margin so far.

There are 3 models of the iX3M dive computer (in addition to the Rebreather version), and you can start with the least expensive, the recreational version, and upgrade the software to the higher version by paying a fee without having to change the computer itself. Nice feature to allow the diver to buy the computer they want/need based on their needs and experience and upgrade it as their needs and experience necessitate the upgrade. You can also buy any of the higher models from the beginning (a little less cost if you do).

The only computers that can compete against the Ratio iX3M dive computers are the SW Perdix and the Scubapro HUD and G2. The Scubapro HUD comes with recreational algorithm and also a GF algorithm. The G2 doesn't have the GF feature yet but was told that it is coming shortly. If I were to buy another AI recreational/technical computer in addition to the iX3M computer, it will be either the Scubapro HUD or the G2 (with GF) not the SW.

The above is a general view of what I think about the Ratio iX3M dive computer, if you need more inforamtion, please ask me more specific questions and I'd be very happy to help you as much as I can.

Their website indicates that there is a distributor and several dealers in the US:

Back
Top Bottom