Anyone dived recently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaroo

Contributor
Reaction score
Anyone been diving recently in Monterey? I've seen some wave models and conditions look horrendous - swells of up to 13 feet forecast for the weekend. Haven't been diving for a while and I'm getting itchy.

Scubaroo once bubbled...
Anyone been diving recently in Monterey? I've seen some wave models and conditions look horrendous - swells of up to 13 feet forecast for the weekend. Haven't been diving for a while and I'm getting itchy.

Im thinking of going tomorrow but the conditions dont look to promising.Lets hear from some of you monterey locals.

I had Point Lobos reservations last Sunday, with really large swell predictions. It was totally undivable, which is better than being marginal, and getting suckered into a bad dive! So, I went hiking out to the point.

I stopped by Breakwater on the way back, which was divable, but 5-7 feet vis. My buddy and I decided to give it a pass.

A friend dove off the Monterey Express that same day, said it was okay ~15 feet vis, opening up a bit at depth. They stayed in the bay, since no-one was eager to do the ride to Carmel in rough water.

I'm going Sunday on the Monterey express, if we get up a quorum. So, go the the web site, sign up for 8am Sunday. I think they need 8 to take the boat, sometime they'll go with 6 (right now, there are 4). www.montereyexpress.com

Swell predictions are high, but a bit lower than last week, and from a better direction.

Gary

Well i tried my luck and went diving at Breakwater today.It actually turned out to be a nice day with decent vis.

We did our first dive along the wall.There was a nice assortment of fish and other life.One guy even spotted a large monkey face eel.I didnt see a lot of seals but the diving birds or ducks were out in force.Pretty neat to watch them dive and swim around you.Vis along the wall was about 15-20ft.

We did our second dive in the metridium fields.Vis was probably 20-25ft.That was another nice dive and lots to see.The seas by breakwater were fairly calm with very little surge.All in all we had a great day of diving.

Ben (and anyonelse),

I'm definitely up for some Monterey diving! Though not tomorrow (Niners and Raiders in playoffs, plus a bit of work). Just got back from 10 days of diving Hawaii and I'm jonesing for Monterey. The diving is great here, we are blessed.

Let me know if you wanna go next weekend. I'll probably make it out one day this week in addition. Had a set of four tanks oxygen cleaned and Nitroxed certified. I gotta go pick them up, and er of course 'test' them.

I'm going on the Monterey Express, 8am Saturday
trip. There are 5 slots left at this time.

Looks like we'll get some good conditions.

Gary

For what it's worth, we send out a "weekly" email with a dive report. The email is based on only reports from Divers and/or Tim from the Monterey Express. We send it only if we receive one, we send one whenever we get one, and we send all - meaning that if we get a negative report, we send that also. We also post it on our web site.

The weather report email list is both restricted to our use only, and only for weather reports. If you want to subscribe to it (and it's obviously free), or if you want to submit reports to it, feel free to email me. For submissions, please include your name (as source) and be as specific as possible.

I assume that most are aware of this, but there are a couple of "live" surface cams you can also bookmark to - one for sure at the Breakwater/San Carlos Beach/ Coast Guard Center and one at the Aqaurium. At least you can see the surface conditions.

If anyone knows of any others, please tell me so I can bookmark and add to my web site.

BTW, this weekend (1/18/03) looks extremely good.

Happy diving.

I'm diving monday, then super bowl weekend. super bowl is a good time to dive because nobody is around, or maybe I shouldn't be telling you that

I dove today, the 18th, from the Monterey Express. Beautiful day, smooth ocean. First dive was south of point Lobos. Visibility was 60 or more. Saw an immense sunfish, lots of blue rock fish, and the usual reef life. 2nd dive was just offshore, between South Monastery and Whalers Cove. Visibility was less, but you could still follow kelp to the surface from 65fsw. Hooked up with another friend, and did a dusk dive at Breakwater, out to the metridium fields. Visibility somewhere in the 30-40 feet, getting
a bit dark, so harder to tell. My favorite sight was 3 types of jellies, while snorkling out to the descent point.

Tomorrow morning (too early), I'm heading to Monastery for a couple of dives. Had other plans, but may as well do my diving when it's good.

I dove all new (to me) gear, which I'd only tried out in the pool. I was using dry gloves for the first time, and am really pleased.

skyNscuba

Back
Top Bottom