Anyone dived recently Coiba ( Panama )

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

hallboy

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The destination seems interesting, but not a lot of infos but what you can fiind on dive op websites. So, if someone could give some hints.....

I dove there in September 2005. The area is definitely remote and beautiful, but I was a little disappointed in the diving, based on the difficulty and effort to get to the island.

I was hoping to see large marine life, both in size and schools. Apparently (per the Divemaster) this time of year (January and February) is better, there are more and bigger marine life because of cold upwellings.

We used www.scubacoiba.com, and had a great time but I just don't think I'd go back without something being quite different (i.e. different time of year, more travels around the island, different dive locations, etc....).

I wouldn't say it's not worth going, but I want to set the correct expectation because I think mine were out of sync with the diving.

Could you give some more details ( what did you see, what did'not )? a place to compare?

Thanks

hallboy:
The destination seems interesting, but not a lot of infos but what you can fiind on dive op websites. So, if someone could give some hints.....

The latest Undercurrent has a report on Coiba.

Here's the list:

Whitetip reef sharks on almost every dive, a couple frogfish, a few scorpionfish, a couple of Amberjack tunas, a large school of sardines on a safety stop, tons of morays (to the point I started calling them Coiba rats), a couple of rays from a long distance (at the edge of viz), lots of horse eyed jacks.

Also, many more of the usually suspects that you typically see in tropical waters, ie. puffer/trunk fish, starfish, sergeant major, yellow tail snapper etc.

No barracudas, no hammerheads, no turtles

hallboy:

Did some diving there long time ago. A short account of it is in our web site at
address below. Unfortunately, dive ops come and go more quickly than what
you can keep track of nowadays. The dive boat was a local one as no ops
were available on site at that time. By now, there could be some who are
unknown to me. Good luck!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom