Anyone dive in Panama??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubana

Reaction score
I am taking a trip there next dec/jan time frame. Its a ways away, so i would like to get as much info as i can now.

Has anyone been diving there? Any suggestions pertaining to boats or shops, dive locations? My mom is from David, so we may be traveling from that area.

Any information would be greatly appreciated!!

Anna

Anna,

I've been to Panama a few times, and had to opportunity to dive there in September 2005. The diving infrastructure, at least away from Panama City, is in the "development" stage meaning they it's remote (sometimes expensive) and you have to rough it a little bit.

Here's some info and my knowledge on the diving:

Scuba Coiba (www.scubacoiba.com) Santa Catalina
I dove with them at Isla Coiba, and they were very good. Tough to get to location in Santa Catalina (long bus ride/drive from Santiago). Highlight of dives were being on Coiba, and diving with the sound of Humpback whales singing. Lowlight was I had hoped to see more big marine life (hammerheads, more tuna, barracuda, etc) in large schools.

Buzos de Azuero (www.dive-n-fishpanama.com) Pedasi
I dove a couple of dives with them at Isla Iguana. Highlight was a dozen Eagle Rays, and they were cheap. Lowlight was poor divemaster.

At both locations you'll be diving out of fishing pangas (no dive boats with platforms and ladders here), and neither are day trips.

Ron Mager (www.explorationpanama.com) Boca Chica (David Area)
It's not cheap and you'll likely have to arrange for additional divers (or get lucky and hook up with some already planning on diving). We were on Ron's ship (it's a ship - a 50' ex-Coast Guard Search and Rescue) in April 2004 for a sight-seeing and island trip (no diving) and both he and his wife, Yalty, were very nice.

Other diving operations closer to Panama City include:
www.twinoceans.com
www.panamadivers.com - an acquaintance in Panama City dove with them and was impressed, but he had a friend who dove with them and wasn't (depends on the divemaster).
www.scubapanama.com

Also, there are diving operations in Bocas del Toro if you are heading to that area.

Wow, thank you soo much for all the information!! I have never been to panama, (born here) but I have alot of family there.... so i have to take advantage of diving!

Thanks again,

Anna

Paul really knows Panama! even better than I and I live there!

Under developement is a great way to discribe Panama. We are developing Panama`s newest dive resort on the Caribbean near San Blas with over the water villas and great diving. http://www.corallodge.com

Anna, we should be open by the end of Jan but even if we aren´t we can help you get oriented and connected. my email is david@corallodge.com

Thanks alot david. I wont be there until around dec 06. I am just checking things out in advance. I am pretty excited about going there. My familys from there... and I've never been.

Anna

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom