Anyone been to Ponza?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

doctormike

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hey, everybody...!

I'm a JJ CCR diver, so the ad from this dive shop caught my eye.

I usually travel with 2-3 buddies who are single tank recreational divers, and we find places that are rebreather friendly but not overly technical or cold water.

Is Ponza worth the trip from New York City? Is there enough to see that we will keep busy with a week of diving? Is it very difficult logistically to bring a lot of dive gear there through Rome and on the ferry?

Any insights or comments would be very helpful.

Thanks!

Never been there but as far as I know it is considered a good dive in Italy
Honestly in my opinion it is not worth a trip from New York, unless you combine it with other activities
If you look at the map you will notice that it is half way between Rome and Naples
So you can actually combine a visit to Rome / Ponza and then to Naples / Baia where there is one of the best archeological dives in the world if you like this sort of things, it's really like Atlantis
You can also visit Amalfi coast, Ischia, Naples, etc. where you have both dives and some places to visit

"single-tank recreational buddies" might cover a wide range : owd beginner to DIR normoxic trimix with a EAN50 stage :). For me, personally, argentariodivers in Monte Argentario appeared optimal in terms of logistic ( 100 something from Rome, no ferry), rec/tech ratio, afterdive time - its heart of Tuscany. They are reb friendly, cave friendly and generally nice people.

Back
Top Bottom