anybody tried a compact camera on a pole?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

fish80

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello,

I used the gopro for some time and I loved the ability to get really close to the subject offered by mounting it on pole. I could get the gopro really close to a morey eel for example, but I would not do that with a camera I hold in my hands. Or I could just get those important 2/3 ft closer to skittish subjects such as sharks and such.

Now I am upgrating to a compact camera for stills and video. How to gain that extra 2/3 feet assuming you are shooting with ambient light? Is anybody ever mounted a compact camera on a pole? For video i don't see any problem, for pictures maybe in a timelapse mode?

Any experience? :)

Thanks!

Yes it can be done. I have done it and seen others as well.
I am not a fan of camera on a stick style filming

thanks, can you share your experience? Pro vs cons?

I used it a few times with my Panny ZS3 P&S. The advantage is that the lens is only moderately wide (and zoomable), so you don't have to stick it to the subject's face to get a good closeup. I just used it for videos a few times when my still camera setup was only capable of super low res video.

I have also used it on my RX100 w/dome lens for some selfies. All I can say is that it is heavy, and I spend 5 min disconnecting it from my strobed setup to the stick, then 5 more min back to my normal setup.

For still photos, I still use strobed setup, so no reason to use a selfie stick, and strobes and dome lens on a stick would probably still frighten the fish.

Back
Top Bottom