Anybody have any recent reviews of the Oceanic Pro Plus X?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I have time I am going to consider a different battery type but need to think that through and anyway I am on a live aboard now so not any option but to keep feeding it alkaline AA's.

With 36 dives now I used three Alkaline batteries. The first two went much faster than the third. About 8 dives each on the first two and 20 on the third. I kind of suspect the first two were weak to start with and the 20 might be more representative of the life of a strong Alkaline battery. BTW the entire 36 have not depleted even the first CR2 in the sending unit.

Dives here are typically 60 minutes, I power up on the way to the dive site for plan/check, power down when back on the boat, then power up one more time on the live aboard to log so total time might be ~90 minutes per dive. Of those maybe 10 are out of range of the sending unit (or sending unit off) which puts the wrist unit into a high power drain condition. If I forget to power it off after the dive than another 15 minutes in the rinse tank in high power mode while it times out.

With 36 dives now I used three Alkaline batteries. The first two went much faster than the third. About 8 dives each on the first two and 20 on the third. I kind of suspect the first two were weak to start with and the 20 might be more representative of the life of a strong Alkaline battery. BTW the entire 36 have not depleted even the first CR2 in the sending unit.

Dives here are typically 60 minutes, I power up on the way to the dive site for plan/check, power down when back on the boat, then power up one more time on the live aboard to log so total time might be ~90 minutes per dive. Of those maybe 10 are out of range of the sending unit (or sending unit off) which puts the wrist unit into a high power drain condition. If I forget to power it off after the dive than another 15 minutes in the rinse tank in high power mode while it times out.
The transmitter battery lasts a long time, I get at least 200 dives per battery

I purchased a ProPlus X about three weeks ago. I was very excited as this was my first purchase of a brand new computer, all others having been used. On my second dive at Alexander Spring in Florida it failed.
the spring has a lot of turbulence right now due to heavy rains, and even though the outer portions of the spring are quite clear, there is a lot of sand being pushed up at the outflow. While diving near and around the outflow the buttons on my new unit got jammed and would not work.
Fortunately, Oceanic simply replaced the device with a brand new one, but no one can tell me how this happened, which I think of as a very important point. If it failed is this low vis environment, what other low vis dives can I not trust it for? How much low vis is OK, how much is too much.
To add insult to injury, the new replacement came with only a 8% battery charge so I plugged it in. So far, after 36 hours of charging, it is only up to 78%, and this is with the same charging cord and adapter that fires up my phone or tablet in just a couple hours. According to Oceanic, the charge can take 3-4 hours, so this is NOT normal. I am awaiting word from them on this as well.
I will follow up with any information I get that improves my outlook on the device, but for right now, I cannot recommend anyone purchase it.
This is really unfortunate since I like the layout and the visibility. After 35 years of diving, my eyesight is a bit less than optimal, so the bigger digits and the color coding is fantastic. I just wish I could depend on it.

You got me thinking about the perdix ai though. Its a couple hundred bucks cheaper and wrist mount is kinda nice when you can just glance at your wrist, especially when you want to track your ascent.

I’m a dealer for both. Do you know anything about the customer service of the two companies? Huish vs. Shearwater? That alone should make up your mind.

I started this thread a year ago.
I ordered it but was still torn between the perdix. I ended up sending it back unopened and ordered a perdix which I used for almost a year. Sold that online when my Teric came last month. :)

Just got off the phone with the dealer where I bought it. They are offering full refund for purchase of different device or another PP+ off the shelf. Thinking I may go with something different. The dealer has been great, could not ask for better, but not impressed with Oceanic. Cant reach the customer service depart to even talk to them about it. Not that they dont have one, just hard to get hold of them.
My personal take, and I stress personal, dont buy one. Look elsewhere. If one unit fails, well, infant mortality is universal. But when two fail, one after the other, they have a quality control problem. I should also mention I am a safety professional, have been for over 20 years. I cannot, in good conscience, endorse a product I do not feel is safe.
Guess I will look into the Shearwater or something similar.

I’m a dealer for both. Do you know anything about the customer service of the two companies? Huish vs. Shearwater? That alone should make up your mind.
Assuming Shearwater has to be better at this point. Hope so. I think I will be trading for one of their models.

Assuming Shearwater has to be better at this point. Hope so. I think I will be trading for one of their models.

Yes, I have yet to find a company in any industry that has the customer service of Shearwater.

Yes, I have yet to find a company in any industry that has the customer service of Shearwater.
I second that vote of confidence in Shearwater Service. I had a failure in my Perdix AI and they responded immediately and replaced it and paid shipping.

Well, I took the unit back to my local shop and they verified with me there was an issue with the battery. I opted to pay a bit more and got the Shearwater with the AI. I still like the PPX, but dont feel I can trust the brand. Mostly I am concerned they just replaced my first unit without bother to look into why it failed in less than pristine vis. That is not proactive customer service, its a band aid. When you just apply a band aid without looking for how the cut happened, you might as well get more band aids.
BTW, this was all done via Divers Supply in Jacksonville FL and I cannot speak highly enough about them. They were quick and responsive with the both units and worked closely with me to select an alternative. THis is what customer service is all about.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom