Anybody ever dive "rock hole" in East Texas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually the Blue Hole is not drained. CHUM in Houston got permission from the owners to dive it which we did last year. The owners wanted to see if there was anything on the bottom of big interest(which there wasnt). It is locked and not open to the public.

What about "the rock hole"???

What about "the rock hole"???

Sounds like that is something else. It doesn't look the guy out to explore "rock hole" ever made it there. As typical, information is hard to come by for these mostly unknown sites.

When we put together our Blue Hole Mapping Project, we had several contacts that lived in the vicinity of the owner and still it was hard to get info. The pond is nothing more than a 40' undeveloped Blue Lagoon but that was one of the most fun outings we've had. We did it up nice with a team of 20 with assigned tasks from underwater search teams, surface support teams, admin teams checking divers in and out of water, IT guys inputting diver notes into Autocad onsite, refreshment stand, and first aid tent. We rotated so everyone got plenty of water time. We had a 40' motorhome, a jonboat, depth sticks, gps units, bullhorns, walkie talkies, O2 kits, and the kitchen sink. Looked almost like a real operation!

Below are a few pics, see dozens more in our CHUM Gallery.

Attachments

• BH25.jpg
    BH25.jpg
    232.6 KB · Views: 222
  • BH34.jpg
    BH34.jpg
    215.6 KB · Views: 218
  • BH35.jpg
    BH35.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 199
  • BH005.jpg
    BH005.jpg
    208 KB · Views: 219
  • s080809-003.jpg
    s080809-003.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 123
Sounds like that is something else. It doesn't look the guy out to explore "rock hole" ever made it there. As typical, information is hard to come by for these mostly unknown sites.

When we put together our Blue Hole Mapping Project, we had several contacts that lived in the vicinity of the owner and still it was hard to get info. The pond is nothing more than a 40' undeveloped Blue Lagoon but that was one of the most fun outings we've had. We did it up nice with a team of 20 with assigned tasks from underwater search teams, surface support teams, admin teams checking divers in and out of water, IT guys inputting diver notes into Autocad onsite, refreshment stand, and first aid tent. We rotated so everyone got plenty of water time. We had a 40' motorhome, a jonboat, depth sticks, gps units, bullhorns, walkie talkies, O2 kits, and the kitchen sink. Looked almost like a real operation!

Below are a few pics, see dozens more in our CHUM Gallery.

Had an error on your link------btw, I'm a member of CHUM---I think my handle is GEAUXdiver(I get emails all the time)------but anyway, never have been to a meeting , only live 175 miles away, lol.......Oh well, maybe one day I'll get to make a meeting, ....

Ok sorry for the late post but heres the report.

Water 68
Depth unknown wore a wetsuit but didn't take extra weights (I know DA)
I did get under a couple feet lots of bass and perch.
Water clarity was 8-10 feet.
Lots of outcroppings and vegetation.
Road was bad need 4x4 for sure.
No room for multiple dive parties.

Ok sorry for the late post but heres the report.

Water 68
Depth unknown wore a wetsuit but didn't take extra weights (I know DA)
I did get under a couple feet lots of bass and perch.
Water clarity was 8-10 feet.
Lots of outcroppings and vegetation.
Road was bad need 4x4 for sure.
No room for multiple dive parties.

thanks for the ?report, lol.....next time, could you bring a camera.........

Canceling the search party.
car-smiley-034.gif
Glad you're back. You went alone...?

Had an error on your link------btw, I'm a member of CHUM---I think my handle is GEAUXdiver(I get emails all the time)------but anyway, never have been to a meeting , only live 175 miles away, lol.......Oh well, maybe one day I'll get to make a meeting, ....

Updated gallery link.

We have members that live further away. Maybe you can join up with us on a trip. We travel around the region hitting up dive sites. We'll have a Spree charter to FG next year.

No I didn't go alone took my son, but I wouldn't let him go down without my supervision. I'm planing on a trip real soon I'll post a more detail report then.

No I didn't go alone took my son, but I wouldn't let him go down without my supervision. I'm planing on a trip real soon I'll post a more detail report then.

Was there any fee to get into the area?

I wonder what the local legend is for the hole. Surely someone sometime had lost a tent, keg, and a brother to some 300 pound walking catfish.

Todd,

Are there any plans for another CHUM trip to the site?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom