Anybody dived Solomon Islands recently?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bowlofpetunias

Oh no, not again!
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A daughter of our friend is going to the Solomon Islands next month. She has been told that they are experiencing so many problems with Crocodiles that it is not safe to go in or near the ocean. I suspect this is not based on accurate information but a bit of con the tourist. I told her I would ask on her for our members to tell us about any recent trips to the area. I would appreciate any suggestions for her to stay safe and still enjoy the water!

Where in the Solomons is she going? I heard the same stuff when I was there in July, except that it was always as "oh we are fine HERE but over THERE they have so many crocs recently". But then of course you go "THERE" and they say the same thing.. I think it's 99% bull and is mostly an attempt by the locals to get their guns back. And if you do happen to go research the very few attacks that have occured, they have all happened in rivers.

Some of the best diving I have ever done was in the Solomons as far as sealife was concerned. Cannot say enough good things about Uepi in particular, but Gizo was amazing too.

---------- Post added January 3rd, 2014 at 05:20 PM ----------

Oh and you should reach out to Grimsleeper for up to date on the ground information. He lives and works in Munda

OzGriffo thanks so much that is basically what I suspected..what I told her already but word from someone who has been there will be reassuring. I suggested that she research crocs.. check some documentaries and make informed decisions.

I am not sure where she is going I will check and post when I find out. Thanks again!

LOL. We spent 10 days in the Solomons this summer on a liveaboard, diving just off many of the islands, and the possibility of a croc was never mentioned! Not that it would have bothered me--I have dived near them in the Florida Keys before. Our Solomons trip was a bucket list trip that truly lived up to the expectations. The corals were amazing--abundant, healthy, for acres and acres, fan corals as big as a person. Sealife so abundant and well balanced that none of it was extremely large, since the food chain is well balanced and everything has its predator. Many of our photos are now framed prints displayed on our living room wall. Have a fabulous time!

theskull

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom