Any wood workers out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

justleesa

Neither here nor there
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I want to build an island for my kitchen. I'd like to build the micowave into the unit, have storage on either side and below. ....any suggestions on finding a plan?

Leesa...Can you give me the dimensions of the space????
LxHxW
and how big of a microwave?

Leesa.....I just Googled .... how to build kitchen islands.... and got a ton of plans.

how you like my gaz and deck??? finally have it stained now....

Attachments

• IMG00166_800x600.jpg
    IMG00166_800x600.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG00162_800x600.jpg
    IMG00162_800x600.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 38
Agreed! Beautiful!

Justleea . . . as a thought, you might want to consider making the island "wheeled". Make sure the wheels are heavy duty and lock well, though.

In California it is Building Code that an island has to have electrical outlets and therefore it would have to be stationary, plus you would need to run a conduit or wire to the island to feed the power outlets.

If you put it on wheels it becomes a large food preperation table, but you still have the problem of getting electricity to the microwave. Pulling a cord across the kitchen floor when you are making a meal could be a pain.

I hope your kitchen is not on a concrete slab.

Thanks. The deck is 32 by 36 feet and the gaz is a full 20 feet across. Both are stained and it is just getting some railings on and then the final inspection!!

Leesa.....I just Googled .... how to build kitchen islands.... and got a ton of plans.

how you like my gaz and deck??? finally have it stained now....

Beautiful deck! I must have entered the wrong criteria, didn't find what I was looking for. I'll look again.

Leesa...Can you give me the dimensions of the space????
LxHxW
and how big of a microwave?
I'll have to sit down and measure, will take me a bit :)

jax:
Justleea . . . as a thought, you might want to consider making the island "wheeled". Make sure the wheels are heavy duty and lock well, though.
I was thinking about wheels and you're right, they'd have to be a bit bigger to hold it all.

In California it is Building Code that an island has to have electrical outlets and therefore it would have to be stationary, plus you would need to run a conduit or wire to the island to feed the power outlets.

If you put it on wheels it becomes a large food preperation table, but you still have the problem of getting electricity to the microwave. Pulling a cord across the kitchen floor when you are making a meal could be a pain.

I hope your kitchen is not on a concrete slab.

Hm, interesting.......thanks for the heads up and thinking ahead. Housing is part of my job (work for a non-profit) so the kitchen is really tiny and I have ultra limited counter space, thought the Island might help a bit and maybe do a bit more work on the kitchen while I'm at it...

Thanks everyone! This is going to be a "BIG" job for me....that includes Power Tools...<Insert Tim Taylors man call here> :)

It would be eaiser if you used stock cabinetry to make the "island" I would recommend against the wheels, I know it would be convenient occasionally but not really stable especially with a microwave in it...

Back
Top Bottom