Any value to name-recognition of certifying dive center?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cariocasubmarino

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Do LDSs and dive operators put any value in the name of the center from which one receives DM certification? I'm choosing between a course with a new dive shop where I've quickly built a good relationship with a locally well-recognized diver, and a dive shop known in the region for professionalism but where I personally have no experience with the instructors. I'm wondering if name-recognition is a factor I should take into account when deciding between the two similarly-priced courses.

I would always go with the shop / Instructor that you are most comfortable with. The name means nothing if your not comfortable with them, or get training you feel was not top notch.

Which one do you wish to work with on supervising divers?
Go with the one you wish to associate with.

The simple fact is that name recognition really comes into play when it is your name that is recognized. A top notch DM quickly gets known for his/her skills, level of experience and knowledge. Even a mediocre instructor can produce and excellent DM if the DM chooses to be one. By the same token a mediocre DM could conceivably be produced by the best school. What counts is- HOW GOOD ARE YOU AND HOW GOOD DO YOU WANT TO BE?!

The name means nothing. You aren't studying to become a martial arts ninja or a classical musician; you just want to learn to SCUBA dive. Chose a shop/instructor that you like and enjoy to be around. It’s a hobby. Keep it fun! Good luck…Diving is a blast!

The only way the name of the certifier (instructor or shop) would mean anything is that the certifier is most likely to offer you a job, since many operators prefer hiring folks they've trained their way. Within the immediate community, where everybody knows their peers it might make some, though probably less difference. In the rest of the world among strangers, the concept of name recognition becomes meaningless.

It is of some importance. As a shop owner, I would hire people trained at some other local shops and not from others - because I know that in one shop training actually occurs and in another it is bought without having to meet standards or requirements. On a local level this is important - but on a national or international level probably not - because once you get outside of your local area... very few names in the dive community mean a hill of beans...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom