Any Tips for NAUI ITC

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Micheal

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I am heading to NAUI ITC in 6 weeks. Does anyone have any tips or recommended reading they would suggest? I do have all the Student Manuals and NAUI S&P's, and Encyclopedia of Recreational Diving from my PADI DM days.

Thank you....

Do you have the NAUI Leadership book? You'll need to read that. Have you completed the online leadership material?

Do you have the NAUI Leadership book? You'll need to read that. Have you completed the online leadership material?

In addition to the above, you need to have the SD IG. You should have read, understood and memorized all of this material by heart.

Your IT or CD should have given you (or will give you) a copy of the presentation evaluation sheet. It's pretty easy to get a passing grade however there are a few things that tend to trip people up in my experience. Make sure you lean into the value statements. Tell your students WHY you are teaching that skill AND what you expect of them at the end of the lesson. Then make sure you follow-up on those points and review them at the end. These are the things that people tend to forget about on a fairly regular basis.

Good luck and have fun at your ITC. If you don't mind me asking where is your course at?

The Material Package is on the way. I have started the Online leadership course. As a HS Teacher/Admin and Coach for 15 years, this is all pretty standard stuff. Though I have never and will never care what year Bloom taxonomy came out. The idea is nice, but IMO is common sense and knowing the year does not make you a better instructor of anything. :)

Your IT or CD should have given you (or will give you) a copy of the presentation evaluation sheet. It's pretty easy to get a passing grade however there are a few things that tend to trip people up in my experience. Make sure you lean into the value statements. Tell your students WHY you are teaching that skill AND what you expect of them at the end of the lesson. Then make sure you follow-up on those points and review them at the end. These are the things that people tend to forget about on a fairly regular basis.

Good luck and have fun at your ITC. If you don't mind me asking where is your course at?

Good Point, Thank you. I remember my NAUI DM instructor mentioning the WHY and Follow Up, after I read your post. I will put that to the forefront now.

The Instructor is in Florida. He does not have a presence on this forum that I can tell, so I prefer to respect that.

@Michael
It has been many many years …

As a HS teacher and a coach for 15 years you will possibly find some of the informnation rather basic other informnation overwhelming- Master all of it ! It all adds up to producing a NAUI instructor who is an instrjtor of divers no just a a dive instructor
There is a difference

Good Luck !

Sam Miller, III
NAUI #A 27

@Michael
It has been many many years …

As a HS teacher and a coach for 15 years you will possibly find some of the informnation rather basic other informnation overwhelming- Master all of it ! It all adds up to producing a NAUI instructor who is an instrjtor of divers no just a a dive instructor
There is a difference

Good Luck !

Sam Miller, III
NAUI #A 27

Agree with Sam. My NAUI ITC was 33 years ago. Success requires mastering all subjects and knowing them inside out and being able to translate that knowlege to working with dive students in the real world. You will do great. Enjoy every minute. I have very fond memories of my ITC. Mark

I just did the cross over last week -- The legacy skills in the pool where interesting.

1) Make sure that you truly understand the meaning of "objectives", "values", "main points", "key points" and "objective test".
2) Be familiar with the presentation structures for classroom presentation, confined water teaching, and open water evaluation.
3) Know how to grade your presentation.
4) Try to use presentation tools.
5) Rehearsal your presentations and make sure they are in the defined time.
6) "Safety always comes first".

Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom