Any thoughts or insight as to when Bonaire may reopen?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

wildbill9

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Well title sums it up. Looking at mid June or later July? Thanks Bill

"Nobody knows" the governor said this afternoon in a 2 times a week update.

What i do know is that for instance Klm is intending to start regular flights from Amsterdam as of 4 July. But all depending on situation, safety, Bonaire and Dutch government discussions etc.etc. I guess flights with USA may take longer to start up again. But realy, nobody knows...

I remember one time scanning for flights to Bonaire from Chicago. There were several listed which routed through Schiphol on KLM, for lots of money.

Delta has flights scheduled from ATL on Saturdays beginning June 27. The schools are reopening this coming Monday, so presumably more baby steps will follow fairly quickly. For those of us currently planning to be on Bonaire fairly soon--we currently have a flight on July 4--there will be a great responsibility to be as sure as we can that we are healthy when we embark, and that we follow every rule while we're there We'll be at a remote house, are socially (antisocially?) distant by nature, working from home in the Ohio woods, have all gear, cook our own meals by and large, and mostly breathe out of bottles while we're on the island. But whether we individually pose any appreciable risk, I certainly have very mixed feelings about violating the island's bubble . . . but a lot can happen in 58 days. I think the second no-fly order is up for review next week or the week after, so presumably we'll know more then. Does anyone know what the Dutch government is doing for small businesses on Bonaire which have been affected?

Are locals wearing face masks on the island currently for things like the grocery store? I would assume once they open up that all the tourists should be wearing masks at a minimum to protect the locals, but I'm curious if the locals would just stare at the mask wearing tourists the way most Americans would at anyone wearing a mask just 2 months ago.

Delta has flights scheduled from ATL on Saturdays beginning June 27. The schools are reopening this coming Monday, so presumably more baby steps will follow fairly quickly. For those of us currently planning to be on Bonaire fairly soon--we currently have a flight on July 4--there will be a great responsibility to be as sure as we can that we are healthy when we embark, and that we follow every rule while we're there We'll be at a remote house, are socially (antisocially?) distant by nature, working from home in the Ohio woods, have all gear, cook our own meals by and large, and mostly breathe out of bottles while we're on the island. But whether we individually pose any appreciable risk, I certainly have very mixed feelings about violating the island's bubble . . . but a lot can happen in 58 days. I think the second no-fly order is up for review next week or the week after, so presumably we'll know more then. Does anyone know what the Dutch government is doing for small businesses on Bonaire which have been affected?
Right now they are talking about tourist having a 2-week quarantine upon arrival. Click the English version (top left) in this link:
'Herintroductie toerisme op Bonaire op korte termijn risicovol Nieuws | Bonaire.Nu

Thanks, Tursiops. That article covers everything I’ve been thinking, and more. I figure they’ll make the best decisions they can, and if we’re lucky, our plans will mesh with theirs.

Right now they are talking about tourist having a 2-week quarantine upon arrival. Click the English version (top left) in this link:
'Herintroductie toerisme op Bonaire op korte termijn risicovol Nieuws | Bonaire.Nu
Interesting read. In part the article applies to us all everywhere - until science has advanced in its understanding of, treatment and vaccination for COVID19, there are many unknowns that militate towards a policy of limiting or excluding travel. The second take away from the article for Bonaire is that tourism will not open anytime soon without some real developments on the science front.

Thanks @tursiops, a sobering read. My wife and I had a 2 week visit cancelled for April 3-17. I've been struggling for a viable strategy to aid me in rescheduling, I still do not have it. A 2 week quarantine period is not viable for us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom